Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tony tt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
hey guys,,,first post and first time mac buyer. so far very happy with it. vista pushed me over the edge. i'm done with windows. my first problem is removing itunes. i don't use it..don't like it..and don't want it. i found some tutorials on the net and deleted everything..but i still get a folder in my music list labled "itunes folder". i restarted,,put in the trash a dozen times...everything i can think of and that folder just keeps coming back. any ideas?

sporadicMotion

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2008
Your girlfriends place
hey guys,,,first post and first time mac buyer. so far very happy with it. vista pushed me over the edge. i'm done with windows. my first problem is removing itunes. i don't use it..don't like it..and don't want it. i found some tutorials on the net and deleted everything..but i still get a folder in my music list labled "itunes folder". i restarted,,put in the trash a dozen times...everything i can think of and that folder just keeps coming back. any ideas?

Disable the itunes helper at startup.

System Preferences > Accounts > Startup

Why do you not want to use itunes though?

tony tt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
i already did that too...the tutorial was very helpful. i'm just not a fan. bought an ipod touch last fall and didn't like the way it operated. returned it 2 days later.

tony tt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
lol,,,perhaps...for now i just want it off so it isn't the default player and whatnot. one day i might buy an ipod again and see if i like it with the mac.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
lol,,,perhaps...for now i just want it off so it isn't the default player and whatnot. one day i might buy an ipod again and see if i like it with the mac.

My wife had vista and had nothing but problems w/ her Ipod. once she got a mac, zero issues w/ her ipod. You might want to try it again.

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
I hope it's possible to completely remove iTunes from the install, I hate fully integrated things like internet explorer on MSW. But personally I like it, sure it has some pros and cons as all players do but the fact that it's very well integrated into mac os sets it apart from other players.

It's complicated to remove the iTunes folder from your computer as when you import a song into iTunes, it's neatly put in there (artist folder/album folder) and also follows as you change the ID3 tags of the songs. Just as an example. I used to be so/so with itunes (but preferred it to all the other players I tried, ok maybe songbird but it eats ram like no tomorrow) on windows and hated using an iPod with it. Now I like iTunes and am so/so with the iPod (still a few things I'd like to change but overall gets the job done with minimal effort).

Try giving it a shot, new os, new media player ? :p

CobyL

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2009
Gainesville
What other options do you have, as far as a media player? I know long ago, before I had bought my Macbook, I owned a 333mhz pc and ran Winamp. Although it was the best thing at the time imo, it pales in comparison to itunes. I didn't really like it (itunes) at first either, but it is a really versatile little music program, and d*mn easy to use. But hey, to each his own I guess.:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.