Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mciarlo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
New York City
Picture1-4.png

What?

So to automatically sync ringtones everything else will be deleted?

I've also had the wonderful problem of iTunes deselecting the "Manually manage music and video" option after I have select it and disconnected my phone. Connecting my iPhone then erases all the music I have added and requires me to resync all my stuff again (a 45 minute process). This has happened 3 times so far.

I sent a nice bug report to Apple.

UPDATE:

I attempted to resync my iPhone to iTunes and checked "Manually manage music and video." Upon selecting "Automatically sync ringtones, I checked the summary tab to verify that the Manually manage music and video was still checked, and it was UNCHECKED! It also does this anytime you select the auto sync option for applications, pictures, etc.

No matter what I do, iTunes insists on removing all my music from my iPhone. Very poor Apple...very poor.

jsquared

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
Nashvegas, TN
Picture1-4.png

What?

I've also had the wonderful problem of iTunes deselecting the "Manually manage music and video" option after I have select it and disconnected my phone. Connecting my iPhone then erases all the music I have added and requires me to resync all my stuff again (a 45 minute process). This has happened 3 times so far.

UPDATE:

I attempted to resync my iPhone to iTunes and checked "Manually manage music and video." Upon selecting "Automatically sync ringtones, I checked the summary tab to verify that the Manually manage music and video was still checked, and it was UNCHECKED! It also does this anytime you select the auto sync option for applications, pictures, etc.

No matter what I do, iTunes insists on removing all my music from my iPhone. Very poor Apple...very poor.

I don't think you can choose to Automatically sync one area of your phone and manualy manage everything else. I think it's all or nothing. In this case to get your ringtones to your phone click and drag them from the Ringtones folder on iTunes into the Ringtones folder on your phone.

The same thing would happen if you decicded to sync movies or tv shows why the Manually Manage box is checked. It will remove everything that is not synced.

Does that sense at all?

mciarlo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
New York City
Yes but to manually manage 13GB of music and video versus <10MB of ringtones are two different things. I should be able to auto sync ringtones and not my music.

I still think this is a bug.

luckygyrl83

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2008
Fullerton, CA
What?

You know what. The very same thing happened to me last night. I added ringtones. Connected my phone. When i looked at the data status bar, it said I had no music. I re-added my music (even though I was extremely irritated) and it's been fine so far. Hopefully, that doesnt happen again.

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Yes but to manually manage 13GB of music and video versus <10MB of ringtones are two different things. I should be able to auto sync ringtones and not my music.

I still think this is a bug.

So check "manually manage music and videos"

Then, put a check in the sync ringtone under the ringtone tab, and leave the sync music and sync video under their respective tabs unchecked, you'll have to manually click on the "Sync" button but it will solve your problem...

mciarlo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
New York City
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but what you just described is my problem. The manually manage music option does not stay checked.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but what you just described is my problem. The manually manage music option does not stay checked.

Make sure you click on Apply after select that option otherwise it will never stay. You may want to try using iToner(MAC) or iRinger(PC) to put ringtones on your phone as it eliminates the need for iTunes for ringtones altogether.

jsquared

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
Nashvegas, TN
I think you are right, about the bug. It would be better to choose if you wanted to sync some things but not others. I don't think you can choose to sync one area of your media (ringtones) and manually manage other areas. I think if you decide to sync ringtones you have to sync you music,videos,etc.

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I think you are right, about the bug. It would be better to choose if you wanted to sync some things but not others. I don't think you can choose to sync one area of your media (ringtones) and manually manage other areas. I think if you decide to sync ringtones you have to sync you music,videos,etc.

I don't have to do that, if I add a ringtone via iTunes I simply sync ringtones and that's all that gets get synced..

If I add an app, I sync my apps, nothing else gets synced.. etc,etc..

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Do you have "Manually Manage Music" checked or do you sync your music?

Yes, under options, the only thing I did was check off "manually manage music and videos" .. the two options above that are both unchecked..

If I want to sync music, I just go to the music tab and put a check in sync music and sync the playlists, songs or whatever music I want synced..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.