iTunes rental movie HD or reg?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DotCom2, Jul 4, 2010.

1. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

Which would be better viewed on my iPad, the HD version or the cheaper reg quality?
    IOW, can the iPad take advantage of the high defintion, or would it just be a waste?

2. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Ehh... for the 9" screen or whatever it is, I would personally go with regular quality. I prefer HD video on bigger screens myself.

3. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 68040

OK thanks!

4. Vashti macrumors member

I agree. That screen is way too small to take advantage of the extra pixels. You should be fine with SD stuff.

5. drjsway macrumors 6502a

The difference is not HUGE but I still get the HD version. 1024x576 = almost 600,000 pixels while the SD is 640x480 (anamorphic) which is only 300,000 pixels. The HD version is still 2x sharper.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i say SD version, you will fit more in for not a lot of quality left (on that tiny screen).

7. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

You always have the option of watching movie later on a PC or even on the TV. So if that might be a possibility, HD might come in handy.

8. Icedog macrumors member

Rentals from the iPad cannot be transferred to a computer or another device. If I were you I would find one of the free tv shows they offer in SD and HD and download both versions. I tried this out with the 30 Rock pilot and The Office pilot, both free of charge.

I've only rented one movie and went HD.

9. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

I found that out shortly after renting three movies on my ipad.

:eek:

p.s. Still havn't watched 'em.

10. Hydrocity macrumors 6502a

I was just looking on iTunes suppoort and they do say that rentals can be transfered between devices and computers, but only one device will have the movie at a time.

11. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

I have rented both and to be honest, SD looks just as good as HD on the iPad.

I could not tell the difference one bit.

Also when I rent I rent from itunes on my mac then transfer over to my ipad. You have to be online in order to do this.

I have never rented from my ipad and tried to transfer over to the mac.