iTunes rentals compatible w/ 5th-Gen iPods???

Discussion in 'iPod' started by guitarman777, Jan 26, 2008.

1. guitarman777 macrumors regular

guitarman777

I've checked Apple's site, and maybe it's explicit enough and I'm just being really anal... but I don't have an iPod Touch or an iPhone or a 3rd-Gen Nano or an iPod classic, I have a 5th-Gen iPod and I'd love to be able to watch rentals on it.

Thoughts? Anyone have any results on this? Thanks.

2. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

3. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

The reason that Apple did this was so you would go out and buy a new iPod. :)

4. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

That's completely ridiculous. The 5G iPods should be able to play videos the same as the 'new' models. They're not exactly that old.

I wonder if it applies to 5G iPods in it's entirety, or is it different with the 5.5G iPods?

5. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Both for sure, they're the same in pretty much every way.

6. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

You may get lucky and they will support it but they most likely won't and want you to buy a new iPod.

7. milo macrumors 604

This was just covered in today's daily news on imdb.

http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/2008-01-30/#film3

I'm doubtful apple expects people to upgrade just for rentals. They probably stand to lose more on potential rentals than they'd make on people willing to upgrade just for that.

It's a shame, I have a 5.5 and I'd be willing to rent movies here and there. But apple's not getting my business unless they update.

And oddly enough, I have a new nano which will handle rentals...but I'm not willing to shell out $49 for another cable and a charger I don't want.

Apple had two shots at getting me as a movie rental customer, and they blew it twice.

8. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I'm sure this has something to do with the updated video chipset in the new iPods... you know, the ones that require the special video output cables and don't work with existing video docks?