iTunes Rentals Don't Work

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bindigok, Jan 15, 2008.

1. bindigok macrumors regular

Jobs said that iTunes Movie Rentals will launch today with iTunes 7.6. I have iTunes 7.6 and no where in the store are there any rentals. Does anyone know how to rent movies?

thanks.

2. verity macrumors member

Same here. I guess we'll have to wait for Apple to update the store. I do see the "Top Rentals" in Movies with 8 titles in the list, but no idea how they got there...

3. johnnybluejeans macrumors 6502

Steve Jobs rented Mean Girls like 8 times.

4. bindigok thread starter macrumors regular

That's F-n hilarious!!! I finally see the rentals working now, and Mean Girls is no longer in the top rentals like yesterday. I had no idea Jobs was such a Lohan fan!

5. teamman macrumors newbie

Video Ipods don't work with rentals

A nasty surprise. I have a 60 gig Video Ipod (about two years old). It plays purchased movies from Itunes perfectly, but I can't move a rental movie from Itunes over to Ipod. I get a message that says this version of Ipod doesn't work with rentals. So, the purchased movies work, the rentals don't...

This from a company that has posted record profits. Apple is going microsoft in a big way. Can you imagine...making obsolete thousands of good video Ipods (purchased for hundreds of dollars), by cleverly leaving their operating systems out of rental playing.

Oh, by the way, Apple is also LYING on its Itunes website, it says "Play Rental Movies Anytime, Anywhere"...uh...except on about a million Ipods!

Disgusting!

6. cuestakid macrumors 68000

did you run the ipod updater-one is required for the ipod to play the rentals-

7. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Jobs said "current generation iPods" at least twice during the keynote.

8. teamman macrumors newbie

Check the website

Check Apple's website...it says play the movies "Anywhere". And, why would movies you buy work and movies you rent not? It is planned and contrived to get more ipods sold, pure and simple.

9. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

Yeah, that doesn't make sense. Why wouldn't the 5G iPod be able to play rented movies? I mean, it won't make me go out and by a Classic anyhow, but I just don't see why they are leaving those users left out.

10. esouthern macrumors newbie

Let Steve-O Know We Want A Firmware Update!

There is an online petition circulating to ask Apple to rectify this issue with a firmware update for older models at: http://www.PetitionOnline.com/ipodrent/petition.html. There's a lot of people pissed about this -- pass it on.

If technological barriers and (speculative) DRM issues are truly not impediments to older video iPods utilizing the iTunes movie rental service - and, indeed, inspection of the purchased and rental videos show that files & codecs are exactly the same -- then Apple has no reason to exclude their millions of current customers for using the service as it was intended.

11. teamman macrumors newbie

I'll try but

I'll try, but I have a hunch Apple has pulled another Microsoft....as if they don't make enough money...well, I am gone...there are plenty other video rental places on the internet!