iTunes repeatedly crashes while syncing Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jacobf101, Sep 27, 2010.

  1. jacobf101 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2010
    #1
    I have a new iPod Touch (4th gen), and am using the new iTunes 10.0.1. I'm not sure which is actually causing the problem.

    Whenever I have the "Convert higher bit rate songs to 128 Kbps AAC" flag checked, iTunes will crash randomly ("iTunes has quit unexpectedly...") after syncing some tracks. A few times it went many hours (it takes over 24 hours to sync the whole iPod), but once it starts crashing it starts doing it after only a few tracks.

    The iPod will sync happily when the "Convert" flag is not checked. This function worked correctly with my old iPod (5.5gen) and iTunes 9.

    I tried all the usual fixes-- reinstalled iTunes, reset the iPod to factory settings and restarted the sync, trashed iTunes' preferences, etc. It isn't any one particular bad track (I tried that). When iTunes 10.0.1 came out I hoped they would have fixed the bug, but no joy.

    I spoke to Apple and they basically said "Wow, that sounds like a serious bug" and suggested I look into 3rd party software (which they wouldn't name).

    A bit of googling suggests others have had this problem, but no solution, and I'm not sure if ANYONE has gotten this function to work in iTunes 10.

    Any ideas or workarounds?
     
  2. TJB627 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2008
    #2
    A bit of Googling suggests you are having the same problem I am. I just recently got an iPad and when trying to sync with iTunes with the "Convert higher bit rate songs to 128" option checked iTunes will sync about 3/4 of my library before crashing every single time. I thought maybe it was having problems converting certain songs so I started noting which songs caused the crash and deleting them from my library. This didn't matter, it would still crash on whatever the next song was. My library will sync just fine when I do not have that option checked but then it also takes about 4GB more space. I would love to hear a suggestion to this problem if anybody has one.
     

Share This Page