iTunes Restore does not wipe your drive clean.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by darngooddesign, Mar 7, 2008.

1. darngooddesign macrumors G3

This is just a FYI.

I've long suspected that doing a restore left traces of your previous jailbreaking. I just upgraded to 114 and did a restore twice and my 3rd party app preferences were copied to var/mobile/library/preferences.

Just a heads up to anyone who thinks that hitting restore will blank-slate your iphone.

2. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

so if you needed to bring it in for service they would know it had at one time been hacked?

3. darngooddesign thread starter macrumors G3

Logically they would have to have a way of browsing the Phone's filesystem. The question is whether they have a way to do that? A better question is whether they care if its been JBed but not unlocked.

4. werkedm3 macrumors member

I think the trick is to not restore from the previous settings, and set it up as a new iphone. I have not tested it by looking at the file system, but I did that last time and it seemed as though none of the settings were retained for programs, whereas they were when I chose to restore the iphone image

5. derandrew09 macrumors newbie

what if u just deleted the whole file system, then did a DFU restore? im pretty sure that would clear everything... or would that just brick it?

6. joelypolly macrumors 6502

Restore does clear EVERYTHING however when iTunes asks if you would like to restore from a backup it copies those settings back.

7. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

This is correct.

8. Dadeleine macrumors member

I just restore (in ziphone) my phone, brought it into the Apple store, handed it in and got a new replacement. They had no idea it was hacked....ever.

when you restore it and then go to set it up, do it as a new phone in itunes.

easy.

9. cprint macrumors newbie

can i restore using iTunes? if not, I do not see where to restore on ziphone. please advise