iPhone iTunes Restore No Longer Required for Unlock?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by skywavesli, Oct 10, 2014.

1. skywavesli macrumors regular

skywavesli

I used Swift Unlocks to unlock my iPhone 6 and the directions told me that I will need to restore the iPhone by plugging it into iTunes to unlock it, something I've needed to do in the past.

However, this time the second I put in a SIM card from another carrier (before plugging it into iTunes) iOS 8 asked me to activate the phone by entering in my Apple username/password. After that the phone activated and it worked right away, no iTunes or restore required!

Anyone experience this? Is this new to iOS 8?

2. scjr macrumors 68000

scjr

That's interesting. Maybe something changed? Apple says via their website it can only be done through iTunes:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5014

I just unlocked my AT&T 5s through iTunes. I received the unlock message at the end of the restore.

3. skywavesli thread starter macrumors regular

skywavesli

Yeah, I also recently unlocked my AT&T iPhone 5s and it gave me an unlock message through iTunes, but that was running iOS 7 so not sure if that made the difference? Was yours running iOS 8?

4. scjr macrumors 68000

scjr

Yes, unlocked on 8.02 via iTunes.

5. winterny macrumors 6502

Since iOS 7 you do not need to restore to unlock. Once the unlock has been authorized on Apple's servers, if you put in a sim card from another carrier, the phone will go back into activation mode, check the server, and if authorized, it will be unlocked.

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Since iPhone 5, it has not been necessary to do a restore to attach a factory unlock. Prior to that, iPhones were "wildcat" activated and a restore was required.

Just putting in any sim other than the official carrier and starting up iTunes while the phone is plugged in.

7. scjr macrumors 68000

scjr

That's great to know for next time! I did it the old way this time. Thanks!