iTunes Russia on April 21, 2008?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

CNews.ru believes that Apple will be launching iTunes Russia on April 21st 2008.

The evidence first came from billboards appearing in Moscow on Friday, with the words 'iSkoro 21.04.2008’ (iSoon 21.04.2008) .

Further evidence is from two domains registered: iMacintosh.ru and itunes-store.ru which redirect to a splash page that says "iTunes Store Russia 21.04.2008." The domains appear to be registered by Apple IMC Limited, "the leading distributor of Apple products in Russia."

Article Link

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
I wonder if it will have any DRM-free music like the US store, seeing as how piracy rates are supposedly so high in Russia?

caliguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2005
Why would a Russian pay for music? That's like a Hawaiian paying for beach sand. It's laying around for free all over the place.

nyquist11

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2008
Interesting Whois

The Whois lookup appears to have phone numbers and emails from apple... but i guess those could be faked

born4sky

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2008
Russian Language

I hope it will bring Russian language support to iPhone.... I want russian keyboard....

MattJessop

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2007
Manchester, UK
It would be interesting to see how well this might work, considering that Russia is pretty much full of piracy sites (I don't mean to generalise, but its true) -

Would Russians consider paying for their music when for the most part to them its free? I think the situation is a bit different when you have a country with strong anti-piracy laws like the US/UK, and a country that really is not too bothered, e.g. India, Turkey, China and Russia.

Now, it would be interesting to see the market penetration here, and I would wish Apple the best of success. But I don't see it happening. Maybe the music companies would want to try and end the piracy there, but they're not stupid, and neither are Apple. I just can't see any huge profits coming out from this.

But hey, this is just my guess. I could be completely wrong, but this would need to be a long term venture, and would require the cooperation of the Kremlin in at least trying to shrink the illegal market.

Analog Kid

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2003
Three thoughts:

This is the test to see if people will pay for music even if it's essentially free on the street (and it's not free, it's like $5 a CD).

This is necessary if they're ever going to get ahold of the piracy problem in Russia. As things stand there are literally no legal alternatives to purchase music, which makes it hard to prosecute pirates.

This might be the first step in getting iPhone to Russia. My understanding is that Russia has the 3 largest number of iPhone users after the US and China.

Fourth thought: I need to type faster...

dmjossel

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2008
Russification

I hope it will bring Russian language support to iPhone.... I want russian keyboard....
If you're willing to jailbreak your phone you can already get a complete Russian language interface, and a very nicely done Russian keyboard. Unlocked phones are sold nearly everywhere in the CIS and most come with the Russian interface pre-loaded by the store.

Having said that, I'm at a loss to explain why Apple would choose to launch an official iTunes store in Russia before announcing an official Russian carrier for the iPhone. With online music stores still operating in Russia under the regime where the state had supreme power to grant broadcast rights-- even for materials the state did not have any rights for-- it would seem to me that the iTunes store has an uphill battle to fight, whereas the iPhone, being a slick handset everyone wants anyway, would be a slamdunk.

Tracks sold from iTunes are simply going to get burned to a red book disc, converted back to MP3, and be used to fill the gaps in the collections provided by the grey market music resellers, or put directly on P2P.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Three thoughts:

This is the test to see if people will pay for music even if it's essentially free on the street (and it's not free, it's like $5 a CD).

This is necessary if they're ever going to get ahold of the piracy problem in Russia. As things stand there are literally no legal alternatives to purchase music, which makes it hard to prosecute pirates.

This might be the first step in getting iPhone to Russia. My understanding is that Russia has the 3 largest number of iPhone users after the US and China.

Fourth thought: I need to type faster...
All you say is true. Most people here don't buy music legally - they just get those 5$ CDs or find it for free on the internet. But the most of the music one gets is from his friends' or family's collections. Its a common site to see students in our uni exchanging gigabytes of music and movies...

And whats scary is that you really need to work hard to find a legal CD with music... I myself really enjoy buying legal CDs because the quality is very good and the boxes are made super nice with additional goodies like books with photos, texts, etc. If I can't find the legal CD I use our family iTunes (US) account.

P.S.: I'm seeing A TON of iPhones here already... and more people are getting (or planning to get) theirs. And the prices for them is usually lower than it would be with official iPhones (560-600$ for 8 GB iPhone - significantly cheaper than 750$ for 16 GB iTouch)

born4sky

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2008
If you're willing to jailbreak your phone you can already get a complete Russian language interface, and a very nicely done Russian keyboard. Unlocked phones are sold nearly everywhere in the CIS and most come with the Russian interface pre-loaded by the store.

nah I don't wont to jailbreaking it.

I live in US, but I am Russian and sometimes I need Russian keyboard and I don't have it, however it would be cool to have this feature. As I used to have it on Windows based pocket pc's.

BTW ... I doubt that iTunes will really work in Russia, there is just so much free stuff online, for example DVD's professionally translated to Russian can be downloaded next day after offical release, NOT SCREENER DVD, but Apple probably want it there because of iPhone, activation and sync and support Russian language.

They might have few sales there, but again they don't use credit cards as here and they buy mersedeses s63 amg for cash.

Analog Kid

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2003
P.S.: I'm seeing A TON of iPhones here already... and more people are getting (or planning to get) theirs. And the prices for them is usually lower than it would be with official iPhones (560-600$ for 8 GB iPhone - significantly cheaper than 750$ for 16 GB iTouch)
I think it was a NYTimes article I saw saying that there are 25,000 iPhones being imported into Russia each month.

Russia seems like such a ripe market for Apple. The Russians who can afford these gadgets appreciate both quality and fashion. On the computer side Apple has little to fear from software piracy since most of their revenue comes from hardware. If they do as well at localizing into Russian as they have into other languages, Russians would appreciate a product that doesn't feel like it was designed in English and covered over with Cyrillic.

Me? I just want all those coders to get their hands on the free dev tools and put them to use.

Ok, maybe not all the coders, just the nice ones...
They might have few sales there, but again they don't use credit cards as here and they buy mersedeses s63 amg for cash.
Yeah, that might be a problem... Maybe they can setup a prepay system like Megafon does, where you can just shove a few bills into a machine at the corner store.

And the last I saw, people were still buying houses for cash... :eek:

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Very true

Yeah, that might be a problem... Maybe they can setup a prepay system like Megafon does, where you can just shove a few bills into a machine at the corner store.
This is basically the most logical way to do it, unless Apple wants that only a fraction of population to buy from iTS.

And the last I saw, people were still buying houses for cash... :eek:
A common sight. Though buying a house is still very expensive... for example in our suburbs building a low-mid level house costs about a million $ if not more. So flats are a lot more popular ;)

dzhiurgis

macrumors member
May 29, 2007
The new Russia president Medjedev uses iPhone :) jailbroken of course :) and there is number of milionaire and bilionaire businessmans using it. Jailbroken. :confused:

born4sky

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2008
The new Russia president Medjedev uses iPhone :) jailbroken of course :) and there is number of milionaire and bilionaire businessmans using it. Jailbroken. :confused:
because, there is no way to use not jailbroken one.

If I am right in Russia (btw by saying it I only mean Moscow and saint peterburg) they have some kind of paypal which is webmoney, but again iTunes store bringing a lot of stuff, iPhone and iPod application.
Will see its just around the corner, next monday, weird why its not Tuesday.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Not sure if this is going to work. I visited Ukraine in 2001. In those days, every underground station in the capital that I got off at had stalls set up selling all manner of pirated stuff - including Mac software.

Probably not surprising given the cost of the real stuff - way beyond the average Ukrainian's means. However, music was different.

Shops sold genuine and pirated CDs cheek by jowl. This covered both local and western music. The only immediately visible difference was the tell-tale hologram and a surprisingly small difference in price - something like $3 for pirated and $3.40 for genuine CDs. An iTunes store might have worked then.

I'm guessing similar conditions obtained in Russia, as I encountered the same pirated CDs when I visited a Russian record store in Brighton Beach later that year.

Since then, p2p and dubious download sites rule the roost. Russia is not suddenly going to change its copyright laws to accommodate Apple. Hard to see how Apple can compete unless it slashes its prices. Expect a secondary market to pop up on Ebay for Apple Russia iTunes cards if Apple does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.