iTunes says apps will be removed from iPhone during sync

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iKatie, Apr 14, 2011.

1. iKatie macrumors newbie

I've recently got an iPhone 4, was using iPod touch for calendars, notes and contacts before, and syncing was very straightforward. Now iTunes is only letting me sync my photos and contacts (apparently there is no easy way to back up notes). When I check the box to sync iCal to my Mac laptop, I get a warning - 7 apps will be removed from your iPhone (including a very expensive one) do I want to proceed? Not really... Can anyone help? I really need to back up my calendar!

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You need to right click on the iPhone icon in the left pane of iTunes and choose Transfer Purchases. Then when you sync you won’t get that message.

You can sync notes to the Mail app on your Mac. Easy.

Edit: and Calendar is synced to iCal. You do realize there are sync settings in iTunes, correct?

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just do it. Apps can be redownloaded!

4. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Right click on the iPhone in the devices menu then click transfer purchases. Then right click the same iPhone and do back up. Then do a sync. You should be ok. Apps downloaded from the same account twice won't get charged twice.

5. jade30 macrumors newbie

You need to right click on the iPhone icon in the left pane of iTunes and choose Transfer Purchases. Then when you sync you won’t get that message jade.

You can sync notes to the Mail app on your Mac. Easy.

Edit: and Calendar is synced to iCal. You do realize there are sync settings in iTunes, correct?

6. iKatie thread starter macrumors newbie

I assume I do - that's where I found the checkboxes... are there other sync settings I should know about, somewhere else?

Thanks heaps for your help - I was starting to regret upgrading from iPod touch to iPhone - can relax and enjoy it now!

7. iKatie thread starter macrumors newbie

That's great news - thank you - I thought I would have to buy them all over again - gulp!

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

No, just sync your Notes to Mail and Calendar to iCal. Your backup also backs these up, but you shouldn’t depend on the backup.

9. msanne macrumors newbie

i had a similiar question, bc Ive always gotten apps from the app store on the phone and never synced thru itunes.

ive done the transfer via right clicking on the iphone icon and chose "transfer purchases" , and when i then click on the "sync apps" i get the message :

"Are you sure you want to sync apps? All existing apps and their data on the iPhone “iPhone” will be replaced with apps from this iTunes library."

when i look at my library, all the apps i have on my phone are shown there. so if i click "sync apps", will it wipe everything off my phone or will it just take everything from my library and put it back on my phone?

Im so nervous to click this.