iTunes search is driving me crazy

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by arogge, Apr 9, 2013.

1. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

The altered Search function in iTunes 11.0.2 is driving me crazy. I go up to the Search box in the upper-right corner of the iTunes window, I type in what I'm looking for (like trumpet quartet), but its response is not consistent anymore. No longer does the Search function begin filtering the list of Songs as each character is typed. The user must press Enter to initiate the filtering. Then, sometimes it works like it should, changing the list of Songs or Videos to show me all files and descriptions matching the keywords. I click on a title and double-click to play.

Other times now, something strange happens. A drop-down list of stuff appears under the Search box. It'll say "Show trumpet quartet in Music", and below that is a truncated list of Artists, Albums, and Songs. When I go to double-click on an item in the filtered list of Songs in the main iTunes window, the drop-down list disappears, and takes my filtered list of Songs with it. Instead of the title track on which I had intended to double-click starting to play, my mouse click is hijacked and I end up playing the first song in my full list of Song titles. The Search field is cleared, and I have to start over after stopping the track that I didn't want to play. It appears that this behavior occurs when the mouse is dragged over the drop-down list before attempting to double-click on a Song title, but the drop-down list under the Search field appears irregularly, sometimes immediately and other times after a short delay, but at other times not at all.

This again demonstrates why I don't like upgrading software if it ain't broken, and now I have a new problem but no new benefits from iTunes 11. I just want the tracks to play, the same way they did ten years ago, but I do need a reliable Search function. Is there a way to revert the software back to having a basic Search function that actively filters the list of Songs as each character is typed into the Search box, and that doesn't have any drop-down lists of unwanted items?

2. vmachiel macrumors 68000

You can turn back search to what it was in 10 and before. In the top right, where the search bar is, click the magnifying glass and uncheck the top option.

Does that help?

3. arogge thread starter macrumors 65816

arogge

Search Entire Library: Off. That did it! Thanks. :)

4. vmachiel macrumors 68000

For the record, I agree with you:) I freaked when the search changed. Luckily there was a fix:)