iTunes search "OR" function

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brsboarder, Sep 16, 2007.

1. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

I was wondering if there is an applet, or anything that lets me search for an OR. For instance: Pink Floyd OR The Doors. Is there any way to do this? I know I can make playlists, but a function would be so much easier

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Create a smart playlist and have it match any of your constraints. Not all.

B

3. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

can you give me an example? Its sort of like, if i'm in the mood for 2 different bands I would love to mix them. Its never 2 consistently, sometimes its 3 or 4

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Picture 1.png

(Sorry, the iMac only has the kids' stuff in the library.)

B

5. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Ahhh, the Wiggles. Welcome to my world too! (I actually can't believe how awful they are. Harmless, but awful.)

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

OT: Having seen them in concert 4 times now, they are actually put on a very enjoyable show, and I appreciate them more than before I saw them live. (though I must admit the last time I really missed Greg, Sam has a decent voice but not the same stage presence.).

(Thank god both kids have agreed not to go back next year.)

B

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Yeah I would do what balamw suggested as well. If you want to get a bit more automated you could make an Automator workflow that would ask you what artists you want and then create the playlist and start playing. I'm working on it right now so if you are interested in seeing how thats done I an show you.

EDIT: Well I came up with a workflow that should work, but it doesn't. And I give up. Sorry.

8. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

I would love if you could show me how to do it using automator, although I do not have experience with it. The above solutions seems like something where I would inevitably have to edit the playlists rather than simply typing something on the fly.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You do know you can also open the browser and select multiple artists from there if you need it to be interactive. View -> Show browser. Select Artist #1, control select artist #2, etc... drag to dumb playlist.

B

10. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

that might work, I never used the browser before, but maybe I'll give that a try