iTunes searching is slow(11,000 songs)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by G5Unit, Apr 4, 2007.

1. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I have a library of about 11,000 songs, yet the searching is very slow. I can type in Red Hot Chili Peppers and it can take up to 4 seconds to show. I have a capable computer(Single 1.8Ghz G5 with 1.25gb ram and an X800XT), and I tihnk it should be able to handle. NOTE: It is not on my boot drive, the music that is(it's on my second HD inside the computer), but the program iTunes is.

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

It might be due to the fact the files are on your 2 HD, or that you have 11,000 songs, or the fact your Mac isn't the fastest Mac ever(still a G5 should be able to search iTunes plenty fast). Maybe a bit of each.

If it really bothers you could try and make playlist of 1000 songs, see if searching is faster(to the point that you can tell). If it is, its likely due to 11,000 songs. If you can't tell it might be due to the files being on a 2nd hard drive.

3. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

That's very odd indeed. I have iTunes running on a PB G4 1.33 with 44536 songs (129.3 days) 287.48 GB - all on an external HD. Searching is fast as can be. Cover flow is a bit slow due to the graphics card/processor speed. Try backing up your iTunes folder, delete the original and rebuild a new one.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I agree that it's odd. My iMac G5 can handle 25,000 tracks as easily as when it only had a few hundred tracks. Is other access to your second drive delayed (file swapping and so on)? Is the regular search feature in OSX slow?

5. triobot macrumors member

triobot

maybe its the HDD.... Dependant of the speed of the HDD and other factors like what other programs are open, etc. The possiblities are endless of what could be slowing iTunes...

6. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I still have not found a solution, I have make it a little faster, yet it is still miles slower then my sisters Core Duo 1.83 MacBook, which search in real time.

7. geoffy macrumors regular

I think it is probably your drive. I have a macbook with 12,000 songs on it and the search is instant. Even my old blueberry ibook had fast searching, though not with 12,000 songs. Anyway, 4 seconds isn't that bad.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Mate, you haven't given us any feedback about the earlier questions.