iTunes Seems to be Making Random Dupicates!?!?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JungMin, Jan 15, 2008.

1. JungMin macrumors newbie

I recently bought an iPod so i got onto the iTunes bandwagon. I have my music collection organized into artist directories, with albums in subdirectories.....anyways, regardless.

I added them to iTunes, but I DID NOT check "Keep iTunes Music Folder Organised" and "Copy tracks to music folder".

I did this hoping to just add my music into itunes and have my organization structure stay the same. I don't want iTunes to rename them or other crap like that.

Anyways, it all works except for the fact that somehow I keep getting more and more duplicates!!! I don't understand whats going on.

In a folder, I will have an albums mp3 files; for instance, Dave Matthews - So Much to Say.mp3. Then I will have another file created by iTunes in the same folder called something like asdf.m4a!??!?!?!?!

Why the **** am I getting all of these duplicates!?!?!??! It's not for every single track, just seems random......

I really don't understand......Cheers for any help!!!

Edit: Just used a script and made a dupe playlist....I have over 2000!!!! WTF!?!?!?!??!

2. davekarn macrumors 6502

Hmmm...I know that it adds the track to iTunes if you click on the track that isn't in the same folder that you have it coming from. For example say you have your main folder that iTunes takes your songs from, but if you play that track from any other folder than the one listed under your iTunes Preferences (under the "Advanced" tab/section) then it will add it to the list of songs. Right click on each copy of whatever song is a duplicate and choose either "Show in Finder" or if you have a PC "Show in Explorer" and see if they are both coming from the same folder or not. Hope I helped some...

~Dave

3. JungMin thread starter macrumors newbie

They are coming from the same folder, thats the thing. I don't understand why!?!?!

EX: /home/music/davematthews/dave matthews - one sweet world.mp3

AND then is creates...

/home/music/davematthews/asdf.mp3 OR asdf.m4a

4. davekarn macrumors 6502

And you didn't covert any of them to AAC or something like that either? Man, I really don't know, if there was no conversion or something of that nature, I can't really explain it.

5. JungMin thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I haven't converted anything because I wanted to keep my collection the same as. Same files, same organization structure, etc....