iTunes selling dud ringtones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MattOKC, Jul 2, 2009.

1. MattOKC macrumors member

My wife bought a .99 ringtone from the iTunes store, and it was impossible to get it to sync to her phone. For one thing, it was the wrong format. For another, I learned that ringtones must me clips shorter than 30s, and this ringtone was 1.07...which begs the question, Why is iTunes selling ringtones longer than the iPhone will even sync?

We had to manually clip the audio to a 30-sec segment, and then redo multiple file type conversions, taking well over 45 minutes.

2. PackFan macrumors 6502

PackFan

It's actually quite simple to make your own ringtones for free, and it only takes a few minutes...

3. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Use myxer. www.myxer.com Its free. And there is about a 1 minute limitation (although you'll only hear 30 seconds before it goes to voicemail).

You can upload your own music and edit it, take pre edited ones by members, or edit the member's edit to make it your own.

Then you save it to a folder, then drag it to iTunes ringtones. Works like a charm for me. :)

As for iTunes and the duds, idk why the would let you edit them for a minute but then render them useless if they are over 30 seconds.

4. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

You didn't finish the process. Buying a song, even one called a ringtone in the iTunes store, and using it as a ringtone on your iPhone is a 2-step process. Once you buy a song/ringtone on iTunes, you must right-click on it in your library and select Create Ringtone. Then you'll be presented with a tool where you can select which portion of the song/ringtone to use as a ringtone. You can preview it, select fade options, and more. Once you're satisfied, you click Buy and pay again to convert it into a ringtone. It will be converted to the right format with a maximum 30-second length and placed in the Ringtones category and can be synced to your iPhone easily.

So, you're essentially buying a song twice to use it as a ringtone, which many people object to, for obvious reasons. I use iPhoneRingtoneMaker to convert my music to ringtones – the one-time fee to buy the software has more than made up for the number of songs purchased from iTunes that I've been able to use for ringtones without having to pay each time...

Here's the support article on this process on Apple's site.

5. realmcenter macrumors member

I have a QuickTime Pro license so I just open a song in QuickTime, trim it to the length I want for a ringtone, export it as a 64Kbps mono AAC file with the extension .m4r, and then import it into iTunes. Works splendidly for me. I'm not sure if Audacity has the ability to export to AAC, but if it does then that'd be a free solution.

6. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Garage Band can make ringtones for any song you have for free...

7. Bacong macrumors 68020

Bacong

The best way to make ringtones is so simple.

1. Find the song you want to make a ringtone from.

2. cmd + click on the song, go to options, and edit the start and stop time to that section you want to be your ringtone (must be around 30 seconds)

3. Make sure your iTunes import settings are set to AAC (iTunes > preferences > general > import settings)

4. After you've set the start and stop times, right click on the song and select "create aac version" it will create an AAC version of the 30 second clip you've selected.

5. Once finished, drag the 30 second clip from your iTunes music folder onto your desktop. Delete the 30 second clip from iTunes. (don't trash the file unless your iTunes library is on an external drive)

6. cmd+ click on the song on the desktop. Change the extension to .m4r

7. Drag into iTunes! Your new ringtone is ready to be transferred to your iPhone.

8. PackFan macrumors 6502

PackFan

This is what I usually do because it is so simple...

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Me too. Why ever pay for ringtones?

10. teaguecole macrumors member

You would think Apple knows that people are making ringtones through iTunes without paying for them. It's not even a secret anymore. I am surprised they haven't stopped it. I guess there is still a majority of people paying for them in iTunes.

11. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

They don't care.
    Apple doesn't want you to have to pay extra for ringtones. The RIAA is making them.
    That's why they made the GarageBand workaround right after they came out with the whole ringtone feature.

12. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

That an interesting theory. Where did you hear it? Link?
    Im not being sarcastic at all, it would be really nice if Apple did indeed feel this way.

13. 226896 Guest

Exactly.

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

That's good to hear, if true.

15. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I've seen it floated around and believed it myself from the moment it happened.
    Can't say I can provide you with a definitive link.

However, when questioned about the lack of customizable ringtones at the time of the iPhone launch, Apple's response was that it was working with the RIAA to get that sorted out. I assume the RIAA's solution was to charge people more. Therefore, once Apple released the ringtone update to iTunes, they released a new version of Garageband within weeks that allowed the workaround.

16. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Just look at Garage Band. What more proof do you need?

Obviously Apple doesn't care if you make your own ringtone, or they wouldn't have added this:

[​IMG]

17. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

just go here its the easiest eve.r http://audiko.net/

1. Find the song you want
    2. click ringtone for iPhone
    3. it saves directly to iTunes
    4. sync your iPhones
    5. done!

Its all free, dont bother with those "send ringtone to phone crap" those are just ads