iTunes sells a CD I imported, but won't download artwork

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ghanwani, Feb 13, 2011.

1. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

There's a particular CD that I imported into iTunes, which is sold in the iTunes store, but for which iTunes refuses to download the artwork. Is it possible to manually download artwork from the iTunes store and add it to a particular CD?

Thanks,
    Anoop

2. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

You can google for the artwork, cmd-I, and paste it into the song info.

3. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't think the quality of that artwork would match that of the iTunes store.

Also had a really weird problem...while importing a single CD, it create 2 separate directories and put one of the songs in one of the directory's (song #15), and the remaining 18 songs in the other directory.

Weird bugs. Hope it's ripping the songs correctly. :)

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Actually, the quality of iTunes artwork isn't as good as you can find from other sites, like Album Art Exchange.

5. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the pointer. By the way, what is the pixel size of iTunes artwork? 600x600? 800x800? Something else?

Thanks,
    Anoop

6. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

Does the title in itunes have any additions like [Remastered]? Spelling OK? If the title in itunes is not exactly the same as itunes store it won't download. You can change the metadata (information) again by cmd+I.

If you download artwork from Google Image try to look for covers with a minimum of 600dpi x 600dpi- 800dpi square seems a good size to match the downloaded itunes artwork.

If you drag the artwork into the information window (cmd+I)it will be embedded into the metadata and you will end up with a bigger file size. However, if you drag it to the lower left hand corner (click the downward arrow on the bottom to open) while the album is highlighted and it will be written to the same folder the itunes artwork resides. This is my current perception of how it works- i'd be happy to be corrected.

7. GGJstudios, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't know, but it's not only the size, it's the quality of the image. Check out the image quality at Album Art Exchange. I don't know about buying music from iTunes, since I never have, but when you use the Get Album Art feature in iTunes, I believe the pixel size is 300x300. I find that anything 600x600 or higher is usually acceptable.

8. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

The album title should be exactly spelled as it appears in the iTunes store.
    Also I believe compilations with several artists cause a problenm with downloading album art.

9. ansalmo macrumors regular

10. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've had problems with the name in some cases, but I've also had instances where the name matches exactly, but the artwork won't download. (There was one instance where I purchased a song from iTunes and the artwork wouldn't download...I complained and got a refund :).)

By the way, if I edit the meta data will this change the name of the directory where the song is placed on the hard drive?

Finally, there is one CD (which I bought from iTunes) where the CD is located under "compilations" rather than under the the directory of the artist's name, even though the entire collection is by the artist. I looked up the meta data for that and couldn't find anything that would cause it to be under "compilations" (other than of course the directory name which I cannot edit in the meta data). Is it possible to fix this manually? Can I just move the directory out of compilations and under the artist's name?

Thanks,
    Anoop

11. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fixing the CD title/artist name seems to address the problem...the artwork gets downloaded just fine. Thanks for the suggestion.

Can you elaborate more on this? I don't follow what needs to be done here. I don't see any downward arrow in the Album Info screen.