iTunes seroiusly refuses to recognize my iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Krupke, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Krupke, Feb 13, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2013

Krupke macrumors member

Seriously. I'm trying to connect my iPhone 4s (ios 6.0) to a friends laptop, running XP. I installed the very latest version of iTunes; 11.0.1.12. I uninstalled it. I reinstalled it. I uninstalled itunes and all its related applications following Apple's troubleshooting instructions, as well as using a special program who's sole purpose is to uninstall iTunes. I reinstalled itunes and repeated the process several times. I made sure the various services that Apple installs are up and running, including their dependencies. The Apple Mobile Device Driver is present under USB bus in the device manager. I made sure the iphone is plugged into a direct usb port, and i tried other usb ports.

Oddly, when everything is installed, Windows does not even recognize the iPhone's camera files. When I remove just the Apple mobile device application, then Windows recognizes the iPhone's camera. iTunes has never recognized the iPhone at all, even when in restore mode.

After days of trying to get iTunes to recognize my iPhone, I seriously pity Apple owners who are not as computer savvy as I am....:(

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

People still run XP?

No problem for me connecting any of my iOS devices to the current iTunes.

3. Krupke thread starter macrumors member

(sigh) :rolleyes: Yes. Tens of millions of people, or 66% of all window users. Are you taking a survey?

I'm happy for you. So you thought you should post to my thread just to tell me that?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I pitty the fool that is not as computer savvy as you:D

5. Krupke thread starter macrumors member

Yes, of course... so on your way out, could you please do something useful and find a Mac expert and send him over? I'm sure there must be a couple that hang out here. Thanks. :apple:

6. JPNFRK7 macrumors 6502

JPNFRK7

If you were looking for help why did you come on and be rude?

If you are trying to sync with two computers it cant be done.

7. Krupke thread starter macrumors member

What are you talking about? There was nothing rude in my OP. I only started to get rude with thread hijacker no. 2.

Where do you get two computers? I'm trying to sync an iPhone with a computer. I'm pretty sure that's doable, as I do it all the time on my own computer running XP, with the same iPhone.

8. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Mac expert? XP isn't a Mac.

Anyway iTunes 11 on XP works for the other 9,999,999 users. So the problem is either your friends PC, the USB sync cable or the iPhone.

----------

Well you've narrowed it down to his computer. Problem solved.

9. JPNFRK7 macrumors 6502

JPNFRK7

I got two computers by assuming that you set your iphone up on a computer that you had at home. You said that you were trying to connect it to a friends computer ehich meant you had two computers.

10. JPNFRK7 macrumors 6502

JPNFRK7

11. Krupke thread starter macrumors member

Oh great, thanks. Now I know that the problem has something to do with this computer. Perhaps. Oh wait. I already had that figured out. So no, you're still not being helpful in any way, shape or form. If the problem was solved, I wouldn't have posted. Just like if you had a clue as to how to go about solving the problem, you would have contributed something useful to this thread, instead of hijacking it with amateurish attempts at smartass responses.

Me, I thought that iTunes communication problems is pretty common, and on one of the largest mac forums, it'd be easy to find someone who might have a clue as to what's wrong, and have useful tips to share in troubleshooting this sort of thing. I can see that this problem is much harder to solve than I presumed, as no one here is able to provide any insight into the problem. Don't worry, I'll seek other resources.

Now, not only do I pity Apple owners who are not computer savvy (and that's pretty much why Apple fans exist), I pity them even more if they come here for help with their Apple devices. :cool:

12. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I can build a PC and install an operating with the best of them (I used to be an IT), I pity anyone still stuck on XP, even Microsoft doesn't support it anymore.

After switching to OSX in 2010 I definitely don't miss Windoze and the horrors of virus's, the registry or driver hell.

Regardless you have some choices, reinstall XP, upgrade to Windows 7, use another computer, buy a Zune, or better yet try OSX before knocking it.

13. Applejuiced, Feb 13, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2013

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

A mac expert to give you advice on windows xp? You need to reconsider that computer savvy title that you tried giving yourself.
    If you were anywhere close to tech savvy you wouldnt ask questions like the one you posted on this other thread below:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1477126
    Nobody owes you any help or advice. Escpecially when you come here with that kind of attitude acting like people owe you tech support and must waste any of their valuable time to help you fix whatever issues you're having.

14. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

you guys are rapping this dude. ugh... guess he sort of earned it but can't we get along!!!!! PLEASE for valentines day sake :)

15. Krupke thread starter macrumors member

Who told you that, exactly? If you paid for that information, get your money back. MS is supporting XP until 2014. They're extending it because XP is so popular, contrary to your misinformed judgement of that. But anyhow, what OS you choose to use is a personal preference. ie. I personally prefer XP over W7 or W8. Perhaps XP was too complicated for you, so I could understand you hating it. Like I've always said, Apple exists for people who aren't smart enough to learn how to use real computers. Judging from the level of intelligence in all of the responses in this thread, yours in particular, it realiy exemplfies what people say of Apple fans. And its odd you're so hateful of XP since it appears that OSX hasn't changed much since Windows 2000 came out. I used to work on Macs before you were a gleam in your father's eye, and they all came with the Chicago font. And one could credibly argue that their system has not even changed all that much, since Jobs stole it from Xerox Parc.

Tell me about it. Like I said in my first post, if someone who actually knows computers is having THIS much trouble just getting iTunes to see a lousy iPhone 4 (even though Windows itself can recognize it), then don't talk about Windows horrors. This Apple one tops EVERY problem I have ever had in my 30+ years with Windows computers. When its clear that no one on one of the largest Apple forums on the internet can even begin to have a clue as to what's wrong, you lose the right to argue that Apple products are so easy for the average layperson to use.

I'm surprised you left out "smash your iPhone and get an android" as a solution. You also said that "9,999,999 users" can get their iPhone to work with XP. So why should I have to go and change my friend's entire operating system just because I want to get one $#%! file off of this cursed iPhone?! When you were in IT and you had clients that had problems, did you give them solutions like "buy another computer, buy a Zune, switch to OSX, smash your computer"? If so, I imagine you must have been fired from every IT job you've ever had. You wouldn't last 5 minutes in any company I know of, if that's the extent of your knowledge and the quality of your troubleshooting responses.

As for as "switch OSX" is concerned, although it is one of the stupidest responses I have ever read on 20 years of reading internet forums, that actually is going to happen. I am currently looking to replace the XP laptop with an iMac, and I imagine that will solve the issue. But I'm not doing this for any reason that has to do with my iPhone. I'm only doing it because my friend asked to replace her laptop with an Imac, as she wants to see what the Mac experience is like (like everyone else here, she knows very little about computers in general). So why am I wracking my brains trying to solve this problem you ask? Simply because I like computer challenges. It exercises the brain. You wouldn't understand. It's ok. You're a Mac guy. :apple: I know that. :cool:

----------

This from the guy who calls himself a "demi-God" no less of Apple-centric knowledge. But we see that when presented with a simple common iPhone connection problem, you absolutely no idea how to even go about solving it. You obviously don't understand what "computer savvy" means. It does not mean I'm a Mac expert. For me, it means I'm familiar with windows (and I can see that means a lot more than you are), but obviously I'm not as immersed in the Apple world as those here. If there is no one here well versed in both domains, as you imply, then obviously I can't expect solutions from here anyway. That's okay. I never presumed as you are doing, that if I don't get help on this particular forum, then I'm doomed for life. I'm long past expecting any, and now I'm just playing with you. Like a cat would with a mouse, see?

Now, in light of the fact that its become painfully evident that absoutely no one here has the slightest clue as to what the problem is with iTunes not recognizing my iPhone, I think you need to reconsider your own alleged expertise. The way you obsesses about me saying I have computer experience, you're obviously threatened by mine. That's your problem, my friend. I'm sorry that you're not swift enough to understand what I meant by that. So all you've done is posted to this thread to insult me, hijack it and cause trouble. Why are you in my thread if you are unable and unwilling to help? Don't have anything better to do, eh? You certainly don't seem to mind "wasting your valuable time" as you call it, you're stalking me and dredging up three year old posts. That's pretty sad, dude. :cool:

16. blueroom, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013

blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

It appears something is wonky with your friends XP, like I said, reinstall. Reinstalling OSX is a breeze, XP not so much.

I don't so much hate XP it just seems so kludgy compared to OSX (which has evolved over the decade) or even Windows 7. It took me two weeks to get used to OSX SL and now I run ML (by my estimate has added over 400 new features over SL)

Unless the laptop is an antique, Win7 will run quite well on old hardware. Speaking of antiques there were some USB chipsets that were absolute crap on early USB systems. What brand & model is your friends laptop?

Why not just sync it to her new Mac?

FYI:
    I built my first computer, an RCA COSMAC ELF 1802 using wire wrap in 1977 (based on a July 1976 Popular Electronics article). Later I built an Apple II from scads of TTL ICs as you could buy a bare clone Apple II main board back in the day, same for an IBM PC clone in the early 1980's. Puddles of fun.
    [​IMG]

17. Applejuiced, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not a 3 year old post, looks like you cant even count.
    Nov 2012 was 3 years ago?:D
    Yes, I am so threatened by your wealth of knowleadge...
    Hey when connected to your homes wifi do you use wifi or wifi?:p Riddle me that.

18. Krupke thread starter macrumors member

Well, I am now on the new Mac, and that's what I ended up doing. Of course there was no problem at all getting this iMac to communicate with my iPhone. The laptop I was trying to get iTunes to see the iPhone on is a DELL Inspiron 9400. Intel Duo Core, so not exactly an antique. I've given up trying to get it to work on this machine. Contrary to popular opinion here, it's actually quite rare that I encounter a situation on a computer where I am not eventually able to solve the problem. (I'm the ¨go-to guy¨ that everyone who knows me calls when they have problems with their computers!). But I still feel it should work, especially as I had scoured the net looking for solutions given to those with similar issues, and nothing off Google worked. Including the solutions in Apple's own knowledgebase troubleshooting documents for this issue. For that, I put the blame squarely on Apple here. Not on Dell or even Microsoft. It's their needlessly complicated and not very sophisticated suite of iTunes software and jumble of associated drivers and related services that's been making my life difficult. I know this because like I mentioned, Windows itself does recognize the iPhone device as a camera (when the Apple Mobile driver is disabled). It's only iTunes (and all other software that relies on iTunes drivers, like iFunBox) that refuses to recognize there is even an iPhone plugged in.

I will say that now that I am on this fancy new 21.5¨iMac, the iPhone makes a lot more sense in this environment. And the machine itself is stunningly impressive. It's been perhaps 25 years that I haven't used a Mac computer. So it's been all of a day and a half that I've been acquainting myself with the new (Mountain Lion?) Apple system. And for sure there's been some frustrations with the way Macintosh does things, things that are unintuitive or just annoying. So far, a few at the top of that list include; constantly asking me for the system password when I install or trash a program (I went and made myself a root user, but I've yet to find out if even that will stop the password requests), learning that I have to play drive detective when uninstalling a program (because it leaves bits of itself anywhere or everywhere), and finding out that it's not even compatible with its own previous line of software.

But despite all the teething pains and learning the limitations of the system, I find the OSX system very nice overall. Just as with the hardware, i can see there is a lot of thought put into the design, and that it goes to a lot of effort to make things more intuitive than Windows. Often succeeding. I really don't like Windows 8, even less than W7, so OSX is far superior. But then, the new iMac itself is a winner. Aside from a wireless keyboard that's a little cramped and slows my typing down somewhat, it impresses on every front. I could even see myself switching to a new Apple system, if it weren't for the software limitations. I don't know what yet, but I'm quite sure there are a lot of pieces of software I would need that won't run on this system. One that comes to mind is the various software I use to hack my android phone. I doubt they make them for the Mac platform. As I quickly learned, this new OSX is not even compatible with PowerPC software!

Ok, I give you props for that. :apple: That beats my story, because I didn't get into computers until the Sinclair ZX80 (so very early 80's I,d say). :p

19. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

iTunes uses bonjour but it doesn't add any USB drivers (that I'm aware of) to Windows. That Dell 9400 would run Windows 7x64 just fine and I'll bet you a fresh install fixes the problems you're having. Unless you've got software that only runs on XP it's IMHO a worthwhile upgrade (hint install an SSD and it'll feel like a new PC).

I didn't like OSX SL at all when I first started using it, but it grew on me as a logical, stable, well thought out and very powerful OS. Better yet there are no "versions" like Windows.

And yes Rosetta is gone in ML. I'm new (2010) to OSX so I don't miss it as I've never needed it. I'm using my 2010 MBP C2D and it'll still running as well as it did over two years ago (I put a SSD in it, nice).

If your Android tools run on Windows 7 then just install BootCamp.

20. Krupke thread starter macrumors member

Ok, this is almost hilarious, but I finally managed to get the iPhone to talk to iTunes on my Dell laptop - with hardly any effort. I forgot about the firewall! That was blocking the Apple mobile device drivers. I hope that helps any future iPhoners reading this. (And yes, the "Apple Mobile Device USB Driver" is added by the iTunes install).

I don't know what Rosetta is, and since I'm new to the Mac world, I just finished researching what exactly are the differences between what my iMac came with (Mountain Lion), and its previous incarnations (ie. Snow Leopard, Lion). I read someone saying Snow Leopard was faster, so I was considering installing it instead. After all, I install XP on Windows 7 machines because I think it's faster, and there's some things I prefer about it. But after more research, I'm convinced ML is the one to go with.

Now I am reinstalling ML as I am writing this, to start fresh. It took me literally hours just to set up a way to get OSX on to an install media. I had to rule out Apple's extremely impractical method of downloading it from their app store. Not because I don't have an internet connection, but because its nearly 5 gigs and I'm close to my ISP's bandwidth cap, and not close to my bandwidth reset date. Which means I'd have to pay extra for every mb until the reset, if I re-downloaded ML (which OSX doesn't care is already on the system!). Ruling out a download, I found instructions on the net for burning ML to DVD. But they forget to tell you it won't fit on DVD! Then I tried to create a bootable USB with ML on it and the OS refused to recognize the flash drive. That is, until I found a special progam (Lion Disk Maker) that did the dirty work for you. Took forever, but I finally did it. Never had this much trouble with a Win install disk, but then... Windows has given me plenty of grief over the years. OS X will probably give me less over some areas, and it'll all balance out....:D