iTunes Server & AirPort Express

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jchildress, Jul 16, 2008.

1. jchildress macrumors member

I have an Airport Express which I use to play my iTunes music on my home sound system. But I want it to do more and I can't find any information on the web to find out if it can do what I want it to do. So here goes.

I was hoping that I can buy a NAS drive to use for external storage of my music, and use the built in iTunes server on that NAS drive to act as the bridge between the Apple "Remote" application on my iPhone and my Airport Express. This way I don't need to turn on my computer to play music on my home system, because it's all controlled by my iPhone and the always on NAS drive\iTunes server.

Is this possible?
    Are there any other multimedia devices that can do this?
    Any advice would be appreciated.

2. jrbdmb macrumors 6502

jrbdmb

I guess lack of a response means no. :( Too bad, I was hoping to do the same thing.

3. garybUK Guest

garybUK

It's not possible with apps outside iTunes at the moment :( because Apple encrypt the stream between Airport Express and iTunes which is a huge setback if you ask me, you'd have to run a Windows or Mac machine connected to the Airport Express.

The only thing i can think of is a Roku Soundbridge that connects via upnp to a NAS (with a uPnp server on).

4. Andemad macrumors newbie

Old post, sorry, but I still search for the "holy grail" which is this thread. The poststarter and I have the same desire.

But if one uses the iTunes server in the NAS and streams it to AirPort xpress, its still a encypted stream, right? Shouldn't it be able to do that and control for an example with an ipod touch, using iTunes Remote? Anybody actually tried this? Or know something similiar?

5. extrovertus macrumors newbie

Streaming from NAS to Airport Express

I have a Synology NAS running 'iTunes Server'. I too have an iPhone (with Remote app) and an Airport Express - but I still need iTunes on a Mac to glue it all together. It is my understanding that the Mac is doing most of the work. The NAS running the iTunes server merely runs a protocol that lets iTunes on the Mac access its files then iTunes packages the stream for delivery to the selected Airport(s).

I have several other music streamers that stream from the NAS without any PCs or Macs powered up, but they all have local displays or use the TV as the menu interface.

I think the Airport would need more intelligence than it currently has.