iTunes server question

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by iowamensan, Apr 9, 2008.

1. iowamensan macrumors 6502

I currently have my iTunes library stored on two external drives hooked up to my Core Duo iMac. I am going to be losing my office this summer (to become a nursery) and rather than move my iMac to the basement, I was thinking about selling it and getting a laptop so I can keep it in the living room. The problem is that I need an iTunes server for my 300 or so movies for the Apple TV. I can get a G4 PowerMac for a good price (free), and was wondering if it would be able to handle the task of being my iTunes server. It is a 533Mhz machine with 1GB RAM, and it would be plugged into my router with ethernet instead of wireless like my iMac is currently. I would keep my movies on the externals, and just plug them into the G4.
    TIA,
    Geoff

(OK, I just noticed that the G4 has USB 1.0, and one of my externals is USB. I'm pretty sure that USB won't keep up with video streaming, do they make a USB 2.0 card for the G4? Or am I better off getting a different (FireWire) external?)

2. MikieMikie macrumors 6502a

If the G4 is wired (ethernet) or is g or n capable, you should have no problem. Just don't look to the G4 for encoding, unless you're a very very very patient person. ;)

3. mallbritton macrumors 6502a

Honestly, I would bag the USB 1.0 idea. You'll definitely want a USB 2.0 card for video streaming, even over ethernet.

Regards,
    Michael

4. MikieMikie macrumors 6502a

Yep. Sorry I missed the whole section on USB 1.0.

Forget it.

What about a mini mac?

5. mallbritton macrumors 6502a

That's what I'm going to get. I'm going to put a Mac min along with my multiple external HDDs in a little closet so I can "unwire" MBP again.

Regards,
    Michael

6. f(A)t'kId macrumors member

I second the mac mini idea

I second the mac mini idea. That should work great for your iTunes movie collection. Also its not to pricey.

7. iowamensan thread starter macrumors 6502

8. mallbritton macrumors 6502a

9. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Leopard will load on that, right?

I can't see any reason this wouldn't work. Computers/Drives have been faster than 100mbs for quite some time. If you're external drives are 7200rpm, I don't think there will be any hiccups at all.

10. hotzenplotz macrumors regular

11. iowamensan thread starter macrumors 6502

12. andypress macrumors regular

The only downside to using that computer is that it will increase the time it takes to load your library on client computers / apple tv's. (The iTunes process utilizes 100% cpu on my dual 1ghz xserve)