iTunes server

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by silverfrancis, Oct 3, 2010.

1. silverfrancis macrumors newbie

Has anyone heard of an itunes server. Essentially what i mean is instead of saving movies, songs and apps to your computer's harddrive, it is saved on a network harddrive space on your intranet so that other users in your household can access it and use it. In my house there are 3 computers and it is really hard to share files and media especially iphone/ipod touch apps. Any solutions?

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I think the new Home Sharing in iTunes does the same thing. But if you're really comfy with OSX Server you can make it a "media" server. You would have to go into OSX server and configure it.

Don't ask me how since I'm not real familiar with OSX server on a daily basis.

3. silverfrancis thread starter macrumors newbie

Can you get OSX to automatically copy itunes files from your computer and put them on the server. Also i was thinking in investing in a mac mni server. Are these anygood?

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Automatically ? I'm not sure.
    The Mac Mini Server Edition was made just for this kind of stuff. If I had the money and the know how I'd get me one. But then again I am a Mac freek.:D

Before you go out and buy one I'd get some more input though.

You might want to check out the Mac Mini discussions.

5. silverfrancis thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it also possible to set the mac mini server up and then hook a tv tuner such as an elgato up to it and stream tv over the network?

6. Alrescha macrumors 68020

There is nothing in your list of goals that OS X Server will do that OS X client can't do. OS X Server should be considered something for small business, not as a home media server.

That said, Elgato's EyeTV will share/stream live and recorded TV over your network. It runs equally well on Leopard and Leopard Server.

A.

7. bld44 macrumors 6502

You don't need OS X server for ANY of the things you listed.

While it sounds cool to have OSXS, it's also a huge PITA. Trust me, just buy a regular mac mini. If you have to ask these kind of questions (can I run an iTunes server on OS X, etc), you really have no idea what you're getting yourself into. Just buy a regular Mini and call it a day.

Granted, if you do decide to buy the server edition, all I can say is:
    [​IMG]
    Good luck.
    ;)

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

its very much so possible. the most optimal way would be to use a server Mac (or PC) which holds and runs the library - the library would be kept on a networked drive (if you so wish, but i dont see the need).

you then share this iTunes library to other computers running iTunes - you can browse through iTunes and pick and movie/song that you wish. much like this:
    [​IMG]

you can see on the left "DoFoT9's Music" is a library shared from my MBP.