Itunes Server?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mysteryliner, Jul 23, 2011.

1. mysteryliner macrumors member

Is there a way to keep iTunes on a NAS and have 1 library on several computers?

So my music is up to date on all computers
    and... (optionally: have my phone able to sync to all connected computers)

-----------------------------
    situation:
    - I have my workstation PC that has the iTunes library at the moment and also syncs iPhones, Ipods, Ipad...
    - I have one Macbook Pro with just some music and requires manual update everytime i buy a new CD.

-AND i also have a NAS Qnap TS-119 & TS419p+ that have some sort of itunes server support.
    -----------------------------
    so, is there a way to have my library on the NAS but when i leave the house still have access to my music on my MBP.
    optionally: have my phone able to sync to all connected computers
    :confused::apple::confused:
    ty for the help

P.S. @admin: couldn't find a place with all the itunes questions so orry if placed wrong.

2. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

To my knowledge no. Each mac /user account will have a .plist and other deep library config files that will not play nice together. The only solution I could offer would be to host all your media on one central machine and use home sharing. The hang up will be able to sync your iDevices, at least until iOS 5 comes out with wifi, which will negate the need of chord syncing. In the meantime you will have to sync to the host machine.

3. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

you could put everything on the NAS then sync your devices with the NAS to get music. To have music on your MBP you would have to save it there as well.

4. mysteryliner, Jul 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2011

mysteryliner thread starter macrumors member

TY,
    i could see that working.
    could anyone recommend software to back things up to the NAS? (prefer local backup since cloud backup of 100Gb could be costly)

could you define "everything?
    xx-files/maps for media library
    xx-files/maps for iDevice backup

So the idea of backup software would be ok here?
    1. import cd with workstation pc
    2. software auto-backups to NAS
    3. when MBP is turned on software gets sees new & added files on NAS and downloads...
    *. Same actions when cd imported from MBP.

thanks again

5. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Well use Time machine. If you are using Lion there is an Issue with time machine recognizing a NAS.

On the NAS you can store all your media and backups of every computer on your network so virtually all your data is on the NAS.

This should work but I am not 100% certain.

6. mysteryliner, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011

mysteryliner thread starter macrumors member

yes, i just gave it a quick try and my NAS is not recognized by my MBP.
    and
    since i don't have a Time machine and my workstation is a win PC i think that this option would only work for the Macbook Pro.

or is there some sort of software that does the same for Win7 :confused:
    :eek:

7. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

nothing that I know of.