iTunes Server

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ajmernone, Nov 22, 2008.

1. ajmernone macrumors newbie

First I want to say hi to all (I'm New) and thanks for all the help you can possibly give me.

I have allot of stuff that I know can be used in amazing ways, but I'm not to good in the creative department. So what I want to do is create a iTunes/Media server that I can integrate with everything I have. Also if there is any other cool stuff i can do with all my gear let me know.

My Stuff-

1- 24" iMac W/ 3.06 GHz, 4 GB of memory, 1TB Drive
    1- 13" MacBook W/ 2.4 GHz, 4GB of Memory, 250 GB Drive
    1- Apple TV, 160GB Drive
    1- AirPort Extreme
    2- AirPort Express's
    1- Drobo 6 TB Data Robot W/ (4) 1.5 Tb Seagate Drives
    1- Buffalo LinkStation W/ 500 GB Drive
    1- Windows HTPC 3.4 GHz, 8GB Memory, (2) GeForce 9800 GX2 Video Cards
    1- Dell XPS 630 2.83-12 MB, 6MB Memory, (2) 750GB Drives
    2- 9.1 surround sound theaters (1 in Basement & 1 in Living Room)
    1- 7.1 surround sound theater (in Bedroom)
    3- iPhones (2 new,1 old)

Thanks in advance if you can help me!
    A.J.

P.S. I am a Home Theater designer and don't know to much about the possibilities of macs.

2. iwuzbord macrumors 6502

iwuzbord

well, from my knowledge, it seems that you have a pretty sweet setup going for you.

what you can do, is set up your airport extreme in a central location. Then you can use both of the airport express(es) and use them as extenders for your network. when they function as extenders, you can still use the airtunes function (which can let you stream music through itunes), and hook up one of your surround sound theaters to each. that would help stream music throuought your home if you ever wanted to.

i also suspect you have a large music library. even if not, you can put it on the Buffalo LinkStation, and then use that as a central network drive (attached to the airport extreme) and host all of your music there.

you can hook the apple tv up with the third surround sound system (probably living room)
    the drobo, can be used as a time machine backup drive for your macs.

thats about all the help i can give. hope this helps!

3. ajmernone thread starter macrumors newbie

I use the airport express's to stream the music to my systems.

I have a decent amount of songs in my iTunes library, 2000, that are stored on my drobo. I also use my drobo for time machine backups. The link station is network only and has no usb or firewire to computer jack.

The apple TV is hooked up in my master bedroom to watch movies

4. ajmernone thread starter macrumors newbie

I have iTunes server running of of it but i want something more