iTunes Shared Libraries

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ee99ee, Sep 10, 2007.

1. ee99ee macrumors 6502

ee99ee

Is there a way to take music from someone else's shared library and add it to my own? Some hack or something?

-Chris

2. iMacBook macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

I'd like to know this as well. My sister has an account on another computer (Windows based) and whenever she opens a special program, it shares her music across the network.

She has some good songs that I'd like to get in my library.

3. Southern macrumors regular

Southern

Negative.It's a built-in thing to stop people from sharing files across a local network. I hope you noticed that when you turned on sharing in iTunes that it said "For Personal Use Only" meaning just that.

If you want to connect to your sister's machine, get her IP address in the network and make sure her music directory is shared. The type smb://192.168.1.100 or whatever in the Finder menu option marked Go... and mount the drive. Then you can copy everything to your local machine.

4. ee99ee thread starter macrumors 6502

ee99ee

No, that's not true. I had an application on my Windows box about a year ago that would let me get music from peoples' shared iTunes. It was a separate application outside of iTunes, I was just wondering if there is a hack to let iTunes copy the music over -- or a similar app for my mac.

-Chris

5. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

Blue coconut claims to do the job but I couldn't make it work. It seems it hasn't been updated in ages which is probably why.

6. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i think you can't since itunes was updated to version 7.

7. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

You're right - I've had a look around and it seems iTunes 7 has broken it. I also found OurTunes which does the same job and they are aware of the iTunes 7 issue and are working on it

8. stockcerts macrumors 65816

What would you do if you have two kids, both with Ipods, and just a single computer? How would each of them have their own unique library in a single instance of Itunes?

9. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

You can use Audio Hijack to record the songs as they are playing.

10. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Two ways:

1) One big library with two playlists, each iPod syncs with it's own playlist

2) Two libraries. Holding the option key while launching iTunes gives you the option of creating and using multiple libraries.

11. stockcerts macrumors 65816

Thank you, option 2 sounds like the best for one for my sister. Once you create a second library how will the system know which library belongs to which Ipod? I'm guessing their will be a prompt to set the default for each.

Thanks again!