Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Situation:

1)On my G4 mini, I have iTunes 9.0.3 which houses my current music library (not music files)

2)On an external drive, I have all my music files, organized by iTunes.

3)My new iMac - has exactly the same iTunes 9.03 installed. I have no music on my new iMac and in fact have not even opened iTunes as yet.

Can I:

a)Copy the entire iTunes Folder (located inside the Music folder) on the mini, and paste it into the iMac Music folder, replacing the iMac iTunes Folder.

b)Disconnect from the mini the external drive on which I have all my music files organized by iTunes, and hook it up to the new iMac.

Will my new iMac now play the music through iTunes just like the mini did? And after that, can I simply switch the external music hard drive between the iMac and mini as I please as long as I don't add/modify music in one and not the other library?

TIA!

theopticnerve

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2009
NYC
Just hold down the option key when you launch iTunes. Then you can choose the library from the HD. Or you could just turn on Home Sharing on both machines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.