Itunes Sharing Limit

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tigger11, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Tigger11 macrumors 6502

I seem to remember something about a 5(?) unit limit for Home Sharing on Itunes, is that still the case with 4.3 now letting phones, Ipads and Ipod Touches to stream from your home computer, if so I am going to be over the limit the house and wondering how that is going to affect everything? Anyone know for sure?
    Thanks,
    Tig

(two computers, two ATV v2, Ipod touch, Iphone 4 & Ipad 2.0 hopefully this afternoon, in case that changes the answer).

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

iTunes: Understanding Home Sharing

3. Tigger11 thread starter macrumors 6502

That didnt really answer the question. Are they counting only computers, ie I have two, or do the IOS devices count, so have 6 now and soon 7, I guess I'll find out tonight after I get home and load the phone with 4.3 or even better try out the Ipad 2 if I can get one today. If its computers, thats fine, but if my 2 (soon to be 3) Apple TVs count, thats going to be more then a little annoying.
    -Tig

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It actually does. It says "computers", not "devices".

http://www.cultofmac.com/sneak-peek-how-ios-4-3s-itunes-home-sharing-feature-works/84911

5. GamerDad macrumors member

@Tigger

You can have UNLIMITED devices associated with an account. You can have 5 COMPUTERS associated with an account. So, no limit to the iPhones, iPods, iPads, nanos, etc. etc... knock yourself out. But, only 5 computers...

6. jdechko macrumors 68040

Home sharing is limited to 5 computers because that's the maximum number that can be authorized on a single iTunes account. Portable devices such as iPods, iPads, Apple TV's and iPhones have always been unlimited. You could have 100 different portable devices syncing with an iTunes library.

Even though more recent devices use the iTunes account login (Remote App, :apple:TV), it is done so as a convenience factor--no 4 random 4-digit PINs and now the :apple:TV doesn't need a two setups for purchasing and streaming.

I would imagine that there will be no restrictions on the number of devices that can use iTunes Home Streaming, but I think the limit for Home Sharing will remain at 5.