iTunes Sharing Over Internet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BlueRevolution, Jun 19, 2007.

1. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Okay, here's the deal. I have my MacBook Pro at home with all my music on it, and my Windows computer at work, with none. I'm trying to share my music library from my home computer to my work computer over the internet.

Both are behind firewalls. As with most people, I have access to the one at home but not the one at work. It's fine to install some third-party apps at home, too, but a minimum of tinkering at work would be preferable.

I've done some Googling on this subject and everything that comes up seems to be several years old. According to the one result I was able to find in the forum, the feature was removed a few versions back. So is there some sort of workaround, using NAT or some such?

I could use Nicecast, but I would really rather be able to control my music. Also, because I am behind a router, it only gives me my local IP - by forwarding the port and substituting the external IP I would have expected it to work, but it seems not to.

Any light that anyone could shed on either of these problems would be much appreciated. :)

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

As I recall, when "sharing" was first revealed, it was possible, and that was quickly patched within about a day, so you could only do it on your local network.

Your not meant to share over the internet and I doubt you'll ever be able to. The only thing I can think of right now would be to wait till Leopard and subscribe to .Mac, then you'd be able to access your music over the internet. (obviously not from within iTunes, but you'd have access to the files).

:p

3. amnesiak macrumors member

amnesiak

try searching for daap server. thats what itunes use to share music on local network. there are opensource daap server but im not sure theres one for osx yet. i use firefly media server to share my itunes music from my windows desktop to my macbook.works very good.

4. brandon6684 Guest

If I'm not mistaken, VPN might be a solution.

5. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

A VPN would allow you to make each computer think they are on the same local network, but it's kinda awkward to set up....

<long silence> well don't look at me...

6. AlphaTeam macrumors regular

AlphaTeam

www.orb.com
    is kinda neat. You can have access to all your music, video, pictures from any internet enabled device. Its just a little app that runs on the host computer. It won't let you control Itunes itself, but it will let you play your music.

7. BlueRevolution thread starter macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Will I be able to connect to my MacBook Pro from iTunes at work without any extra software?

Unfortunately, that needs to be installed on both computers by my reading, so it won't be much help since I guarantee it's not on my IT department's approved software list.

As for VPN, would I need to install any extra software on the Windows end? I do have access to all the settings here by way of configuration, but again I doubt any VPN clients would be available here.

Thank you for your help, everyone.

8. numlock macrumors 68000

on the client (work computer) you just use your browser. Type in your home´s external ip and login. Then you can either play your songs in a separte browser player or download an m3u to play in whatever media player you have

i could start my mytunesrss server now if you want to test it

9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Just to make sure you're considering all of your choices, BlueRevolution, I'll point out that rather than share your music over the Internet, you could simply copy your music library to your work computer and authorize that computer for any purchased iTunes content. You'd have to update the computer at work as your music collection grew, of course.

10. BlueRevolution thread starter macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Okay, I have MyTunesRSS and Firefly Media Server installed and running now. I'll post back with my results at work tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Unfortunately, my only external drive big enough to hold my 30 GiB of music is (a) almost full and (b) HFS-formatted.