iTunes sharing sees wireless and wired as seperate networks?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jontucker, Apr 4, 2008.

1. jontucker macrumors 6502

Has anyone come across this scenario before and if so is there anything I can do?

It's a bit of a complicated setup but here goes....

I have 2 Belkin wireless routers one connected to ADSL and the the configured as an access point at the other end of the house.

On the main router I have a PC connected (PC1) and on the access point I have another 1 (PC2) I also have 3 laptops in the house all connected to the wifi.

Now, all 5 machines get there TCP/IP settings from the main router, none are static and the access point is simply a passthrough. Even PC2 gets its IP from the main router.

The problem I have is that even though they are all on the same subnet, getting their addresses from the same DHCP server and seemingly are configure in exactly the same way, iTunes sharing only sees the devices that are on either WiFi or cable, whichever one I happen to be on. So if I turn on sharing on all the laptops i can see the all in iTunes, if I then turn on one of the PCs iTunes sharing I can't see it. However if i the plug my laptop in to the router that the PC is on I can see it but I lose the other laptops.

Also, the PC's cant see each other at all.

I'm not a network noob and I've tried everything I can think of. Has anyone else had this problem and managed to fix it?

2. jontucker thread starter macrumors 6502

After more digging I'm starting to think that it could be something to do with IGMP only forwarding wireless-wireless or wired-wired.

I'm using 2 Belkin F5D7642 routers which don't have options to enable/disbable it.

Does this sound likely to be the problem to anyone?

3. jontucker thread starter macrumors 6502