iTunes showing weird characters... Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Cloudsurfer, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Check your Fonts. Applications/Font Book File->Validate Fonts

3. Cloudsurfer thread starter macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

All the fonts are there... I don't remember playing with the fonts like adding or deleting them.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Try deleting the iTunes preference file, "yourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iTunes.plist" after quitting out.

Not sure if you understood what the other post was telling you to do. "Validating" your fonts is an actual action. Go to Spotlight and search for "Font Book" (a program) and it has an option to validate fonts, just select all fonts and do it.

5. Cloudsurfer thread starter macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

Okay, I validated the fonts. No problems here.

I also deleted the plist, which didn't work either. So I removed all the songs from iTunes and deleted the plist again, which didn't work either.

Any further suggestions? I guess I can always wait for Apple to update iTunes...

6. Deluan macrumors newbie

Not only iTunes....

I'm having the same problem here on my iMac intel with OS X 10.4.10, but all accounts have the same problem. And it's not only with iTunes: I have already identified the problem on MS Word 2004 and Finder. It seems to be a system font problem, but all fonts validate ok on Font Book.

Please see the screenshots:
    http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/deluan/IMacFontProblem

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, let's try deleting your font caches...

In the Library's Cache folder there should be a folder named com.apple.ATS within which should be a folder with a number for its name (mine is called 501, but some people will have different numbers). Delete everything within this numbered folder and restart immediately. Do this all whilst iTunes is closed. :)

Have you used any apps like Monolingual to remove architecture or language files? Do you have any theme changers or system hacks installed?

8. Deluan macrumors newbie

That was the problem. The numbered folder refers to the userid, so I deleted the cache for all users on my system, and it worked. Thank you very much!

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew