iTunes shows everything on iPhone as OTHER

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by geekmommy4, Oct 29, 2008.

1. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

I was syncing my phone this morning and it acted strangely when I plugged it in to the cable. It came up with an error message saying that it didn't recognize the phone. I unplugged the cable and then plugged it back in and then it showed all music as OTHER, but still showed my Apps in green. When I tried to sync, it gave me an error message saying that there was not room to sync (I guess it's was trying to fit all of my music on it again). My phone rebooted during the sync and I got error 0xE8000035 from iTunes. When the phone restarted, iTunes showed everything as OTHER.

Has anyone ever seen this before and is there any way to fix other than a restore. I suspect that my backup won't work because it did a backup while it already showed the music as "other". My phone is jailbroke, so I hate to lose all of my customizations. :(

TIA!

2. Vegan TJ macrumors regular

Vegan TJ

yeah i have seen it before ..but mine didn't f(_)ck up like yours did.....mine did it when i installed swaptunes ...

3. rgt168 macrumors newbie

4. geekmommy4 thread starter macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

Thank you SOOO much! This thread that you referred to had the solution in it. Just in case someone else has the problem, the gist of it is (credit to navco786 on hackint0sh and rgt168 here for finding it for me):

SSH into your iphone and delete everything in the following folder:
    var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/
    and then reboot your iphone, you should see the space freed up.

What wasn't completely clear is that I had to restore from backup after doing it and then sync it a couple of times for everything to show up correctly in the content bar in iTunes.

I'm a happy girl now! Thanks again!

5. westcoaster05 macrumors newbie

i'm a newb.

So the same thing's happened to me. I found this thread, thank goodness, but I don't get the SSH thing. Anyone care to explain it please? Thanks for the help.

6. rgt168 macrumors newbie

7. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

I felt the need to bring this back from the dead because I transferred my purchases to my mac from my iphone today, and got the dreaded 'it's all other' problem. This thread saved my you-know-what. Thank you geekmommy4.