iTunes shuffle mode doesn't really shuffle?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by grahamnp, Apr 8, 2009.

1. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Let's say I pick Song A manually, it finishes and moves on to Song B. 10 songs after Song B, if I manually select A, all those songs play in the exact same order. The only thing that changes the order is restarting iTunes. Anybody else experience this?

2. KFujiwara macrumors member

KFujiwara

When you start a shuffle listing, it will begin numbering the songs. If you go back to any already-numbered song, it will simply go back in the list to that number. That is why it will repeat the list. If you stop and exit that song list, it will restart.

3. grahamnp thread starter macrumors 6502a

By song list do you mean playlist? I've observed this when playing my entire library.

4. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

iTunes does that for me too. I assumed it was normal behavior.

5. Matek macrumors 6502a

That's how Apple's shuffle works (it's the same on iPods). When you press shuffle, a random order of songs is created, but from there on, it acts like a regular playlist. You can move back and forward as much as you want, manually select songs, doesn't matter - it will stay exactly like it was shuffled the moment you turned shuffle on.

If you want to change the order, you don't need to restart iTunes, you can turn shuffle off and back on - this will simply mix it one more time, but that's all you can do. You can't make it completely random.

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

It doesn't say anywhere that it is "randomizing" it says it's "shuffling".

7. Matek macrumors 6502a

8. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Yes, but once you have shuffled the cards they don't continue to randomly change order. They stay in the shuffle order until you shuffle again.

9. grahamnp thread starter macrumors 6502a

It was more of an observation than a complaint really but that's really helpful, thanks!

10. Matek macrumors 6502a

I can't argue with that, of course, but the problem here is the fact that shuffle is a state. It is on or off constantly. If it would be some kind of an action you perform once, I'd agree with your point, but if the shuffle button is on, I imagine my songs being shuffled constantly.