Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silver5656

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2010
On my pc, my iTunes is about 820GB.

On my mac (with iTunes on an external 1tb hd), the drive shows that 960GB is used, but the media itself is still only 820GB. Where is this extra 140GB being used? I will soon run out of space and need to get this figured out.

Also, how would I go about moving iTunes back onto the OS hard drive, while leaving tv shows on the external? Is this possible? I cannot move the entire library onto the OS drive as the size is only 500GB.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
On my mac (with iTunes on an external 1tb hd), the drive shows that 960GB is used, but the media itself is still only 820GB. Where is this extra 140GB being used?
If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion storage tab is about, this may help explain:
For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
  • Begin by restarting your computer as a first step. This sometimes resolves issues.
  • For Time Machine users on notebooks running Lion, space may being consumed by Time Machine local snapshots, which can be disabled.
    OS X Lion: About Time Machine's "local snapshots" on portable Macs
  • Search with Finder to see if the space is being consumed by a very large file or several large files. Adjust the 50GB in the illustration to whatever size you deem appropriate.
    attachment.php
  • Use OmniDiskSweeper, JDisk Report, Disk Inventory X, DaisyDisk or GrandPerspective to see how space is being used on your drive. Some of these apps may show more detail than others, so try several.
  • Check your drive with Disk Utility: Using Disk Utility to verify or repair disks
  • Try re-indexing your drive: Spotlight: How to re-index folders or volumes
Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:
Also, how would I go about moving iTunes back onto the OS hard drive, while leaving tv shows on the external? Is this possible?
How to split a single iTunes library over two or more media locations
also, should my external be formated as osx journaled or fat32/exfat?
If you use it only with your Mac, use Mac OS Extended, Jounaled.

Silver5656

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2010
thanks for the reply. This applies towards an external drive, not the OS drive on the mac. My entire itunes library is on an external 1tb. I am not saying that the drive is full of "mystery invisible files" just that the itunes external drive is, thus time machine does not apply as it does not back up the external, and even if it did it would not back up onto the usb hard drive but rather through my nas. The reason why i asked journaled or fat is because I thought there might be file size differences

----------

I also tried deleting 30GB of data, and 40 disappeared. Same thing while adding. If i add 30GB worth of TV shows, it'll use up 40GB. Why is this? I transfer 30GB worth of shows from my pc (which under properties shows as 30GB), and it itunes it shows as 30GB on both my pc and my mac, and even after the transfer, if I click on TV shows it shows as 30GB, but when I click on the external drive it shows that its 40GB more full than before. why such a large difference? I can understand a few GB over the span of 100GB or 1TB, but a 10GB jump on 30GB worth of files? That essentially makes my 1Tb external only about 840GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.