iTunes size differences?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Silver5656, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Silver5656 macrumors member

On my pc, my iTunes is about 820GB.

On my mac (with iTunes on an external 1tb hd), the drive shows that 960GB is used, but the media itself is still only 820GB. Where is this extra 140GB being used? I will soon run out of space and need to get this figured out.

Also, how would I go about moving iTunes back onto the OS hard drive, while leaving tv shows on the external? Is this possible? I cannot move the entire library onto the OS drive as the size is only 500GB.

2. Silver5656 thread starter macrumors member

also, should my external be formated as osx journaled or fat32/exfat?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion storage tab is about, this may help explain:
    For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
    Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:
    How to split a single iTunes library over two or more media locations
    If you use it only with your Mac, use Mac OS Extended, Jounaled.

4. Silver5656 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the reply. This applies towards an external drive, not the OS drive on the mac. My entire itunes library is on an external 1tb. I am not saying that the drive is full of "mystery invisible files" just that the itunes external drive is, thus time machine does not apply as it does not back up the external, and even if it did it would not back up onto the usb hard drive but rather through my nas. The reason why i asked journaled or fat is because I thought there might be file size differences

----------

I also tried deleting 30GB of data, and 40 disappeared. Same thing while adding. If i add 30GB worth of TV shows, it'll use up 40GB. Why is this? I transfer 30GB worth of shows from my pc (which under properties shows as 30GB), and it itunes it shows as 30GB on both my pc and my mac, and even after the transfer, if I click on TV shows it shows as 30GB, but when I click on the external drive it shows that its 40GB more full than before. why such a large difference? I can understand a few GB over the span of 100GB or 1TB, but a 10GB jump on 30GB worth of files? That essentially makes my 1Tb external only about 840GB.