Itunes skipping and design programs are slow on my new MacbookPro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tdejorge, Aug 22, 2012.

1. tdejorge macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone.

Going to try to keep this as short as possible. I upgraded from an old white 13 inch macbook that had 2 gb of ram.

I am a graphic designer and wanted to upgrade my system cause Im doing more work form home so im running the creative suite on it.

I purchased a Macbook Pro 15.5 inches quad core 2.2 ghz and upgraded to 8 gb of ram.

Anyway as im working away I like to listen to music on itunes. Im finding though my itunes tends to skip if im doing anything thats a bit bigger then normal in creative suite. Especially when any of the programs are processing. Nothing mind blowing or huge im doing. Then again today Im playing itunes and downloading some torrents and my itunes is skipping and working on some simple text in illustrator its slow responding. MY old white macbook could process information better then my new macbook pro. Never had problems skipping with i-tunes and only became slow when i was working with really huge files which was expected.

Long story short my new computer cant seem to handle much and I dont know whats going on. Almost seems like this computer is a downgrade with all the hiccups it has.

IS there some setting im missing that my computer just isnt processing things appropriately. The CPU useage on the programs seems to spike considerably if I do anything bigger in them. Not sure what that means. Not the most computer saavy person in the world.

Any help on what could be causing this problem would be great. Any other info I can give that would help solve the problem I will gladly do so.

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Open /Applications/Utilities/Activity monitor and see what 'service' is eating up process cycles. You might have an older program/plugin that is not fully compatible with the new Laptop.

3. tdejorge thread starter macrumors newbie

Cant say Ive really installed much at all. Just creative suite, minecraft and diablo 3 really.

I dont see anything out of the ordinary. Coreaudiod is up at about 10%. Not sure if thats correct while I stream music.

Just seems like my computer cant manage its own memory properly and it just slow for no reason where my macbook was fine.

Not sure whats causing the spikes and slowdown when working in the design programs.

What should I be looking for? The CPU% in the activity monitor? Does that determine whats causing the problems? My CS programs spike it ike crazy when opening things but once again not sure if thats how its supposed to be.

Thanks for your tips so far.

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Coreaudio has 10%? That seems to high. Are you streaming with iTunes or another program?

5. tdejorge thread starter macrumors newbie

Im playing music off my itunes library. Thats all I can see thats odd. Aside form that I jsut dont see whats causing the problems