iTunes skipping songs when listening to shared library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jb60606, Jul 8, 2009.

1. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

iTunes skips songs when I try to listen to a shared library from my Mac Pro, on my MacBook Pro.

This always happens when trying to "fast-forward" through a song (it'll skip to the next song).

I'm assuming that this is some kind of networking issue, because if I let the song play long enough, for what I perceive as enough time to transfer the song entirely from one computer to the other, it won't skip to the next song when fast-forwarding.

The two computers are in adjacent rooms, connected wirelessly via an AEBS on 802.11N (g compatibility mode).

Has anyone else had this problem?

2. twilliams1988 macrumors newbie

iTunes skips when using shared library or home sharing!

Hi there,

I also have the same problem... my home network is a little complicated with three wireless access points and a fixed cat5 network to some of the rooms too. From my Macbook Pro to my media centre PC iTunes can access my MBP library perfectly but when trying to get my Dad's Windows 7 pc to connect to the media centre pc's library it skips the songs after about 20/30 seconds of play. It's as if some sort of preview mode is on and is very frustrating.

Any ideas would be of great help!
    Thanks,
    Tom

3. jb60606 thread starter macrumors 6502a

out of curiosity, what's the signal like from your dad's PC to the AP? Does your MBP and your dad's PC use the same AP or different ones? If the latter, have you tried switching your dad's comp to the AP your MBP uses, and vice versa?

Also, does the music begin to stutter, or 'buffer' before it moves to the next song?

I don't know of a "song preview" option in MC (then again, I haven't used WMP since the 90s, and just seconds ago was the first time I ever opened WMC in VMWare/Windows7), so my first guess would be - possibly - network congestion of some sort, especially if it doesn't cut over at 30 seconds consistently every time.

4. jb60606 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Also, I believe the resolution to the problem I mentioned in my July post was to increase the "streaming buffer size" under iTunes-->Preferences-->Advanced. It hasn't skipped a song since.