iTunes skipping through all my songs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ramparts, May 11, 2009.

1. ramparts macrumors regular

I was playing music on iTunes and one of the songs I was listening to just skipped through - iTunes started skipping, 30 seconds or so at a time, through to the next song. It started to happen around halfway through the song, although exactly where is unclear. Repeatedly pushing the cursor back to where the song was before the skipping starts seems to help, in that the songs only starts skipping again a bit later.

The one thing that's changed recently is that I turned on Genius. In fact, when I turned Genius off, the issue seemed to be fixed, until it happened again. I managed to make it through most of the song, though, but the next few songs all started skipping through right from the beginning.

It's now happening with every single song I try playing. I hope Genius didn't actually damage the MP3s; I have no idea what it does. All I know is that my iTunes is officially unusable. Quitting the program and restarting did nothing.

What's going on?

2. omniinvoice macrumors member

Maybe iTunes don't like your music collection :D

Have you updated to the recent iTunes? Are the songs that skip paid for using iTunes or Important from somewhere else?

3. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

Do you have your music stored on a external hard drive?

4. ramparts thread starter macrumors regular

Most recent iTunes, not a single song bought from the Store. I prefer to buy a CD and rip it myself.

Nope!

5. ramparts thread starter macrumors regular

Update: After a few hours it seemed to stop, and has been good for about a day or so. But I'm worried it might come back!

6. omniinvoice macrumors member

Is it always the same songs / same songs from the same album? If so, can you delete the songs and rip them from the CD again?

You could always remove itunes, and install it again. Your library will still stay on your computer so you shouldnt lose anything.

7. ramparts thread starter macrumors regular

As I (think I) said in the original post, it happened with every song. If it happens again I guess my next resort is to uninstall/reinstall, if no one can recognize the problem...