iTunes skipping

MyLeftNut

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 15, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
Hi all,

I dont know if this is the software or what but when my PB17 is maxing out on CPU usage with iTunes playing in the background it occassionally skips or has some sort of cut out with the track. Im worried that the tracks have become corrupted or something on playback...anyone else had this sort of problem?
:confused:

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
MyLeftNut said:
Hi all,

I dont know if this is the software or what but when my PB17 is maxing out on CPU usage with iTunes playing in the background it occassionally skips or has some sort of cut out with the track. Im worried that the tracks have become corrupted or something on playback...anyone else had this sort of problem?
:confused:
This is normal and your files are not corrupt. This is because your CPU is taking priority away from iTunes and giving it to the other app.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Unless particular tracks always skip in the same places, I think you're fine - the PB is just too maxed out to play smoothly. Playing tunes won't corrupt them.

Edit: Er, like Daveway said...

MyLeftNut

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 15, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
Thanks guys, that is a relief in a way. Its also annoying that the system is struggling when Im not really pushing it. Oh well, by the time the Intel based Macs come out and the money is there I'll update my hardware...are there any optimisation techniques that might help in this instance...

Thanks for your quick replies all, this is why MacRumours kicks major arse... :p