iTunes slow is this normal

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by riam, Mar 29, 2011.

1. riam macrumors regular

I Have a problem with a slow itunes, I Have a Macbook unibody, and i have used it with itunes to backup my iphone and it worked great, last week i got a apple tv gen2 and i wanted to stream my videos so i started adding my video files to my library,

i changed the itunes library location to a WD my book external 2tb drive
    the first 50 or 60 gb evrey thing went perfect but now i have a 140 GB library (video) and when i try to change any info in a video (name genre etc.) after i press enter i get a color ball for 1 minute before the change takes place, is this normal? is there a solution? if not what is the point of home sharing if this is normal?

I also updated osx to 10.6.7 this monday i dont know if this is the problem

2. nasty devil macrumors member

I guess so, judging by the size of your library.

This is different but similar; whenever I try to drag movies onto my iPad or iPhone, there is a lag as to when the icons show up on iTunes, and until I can actually drop them in. So I have to keep my mouse pressed until they can be dropped. This takes a while if they are large files.

3. Yvan256 macrumors 601

I think iTunes rewrites the whole video file to write the updated metadata, not to mention that it's also slower with external drives.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

So itunes works great before you moved it to an external drive. After you do things to it, it is now "slow."

Do you see cuase and effect?

5. riam thread starter macrumors regular

After changing the library to the external things worked great, it became slow when the library increased in size, but thinking about the features that apple are focusing on (streaming) i didnt think that itunes is not capable of managing a large library

6. dknightd macrumors 6502

two things that might slow down your library.

1) external disk has gone to sleep since you last used it.

2) you have alot of automatic updating smart playlists (or just alot of playlists)

7. Pultost macrumors newbie

Pultost

Hi
    I am new here and this is my first post. i am Norwegina so sorry with my english I have been å Windows user for severel Years now :mad: but now i am finaly getting back to mac :rolleyes: First Mac was a fast little devil, mac classic 1990, i loved it.

I found this post and hope i can get some help here.

I got my self a new 2011 mbp with the BTO 128 ssd drive, and 8 gb of ram, from before i have my iTunes libary on an eksternal hdd.
    I have a very large iTunes library. 500gb +.
    My Question is, can i have my iTunes preferanse file on the eksternal drive? Will that speed up things like adding songs, downloading podcast etc.
    On my Pc the file is in my music folder on the pc harddrive.

hope anybody can help :)

8. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I use a Synology DS110j NAS to store my iTunes media files.

9. Pultost macrumors newbie

Pultost

thanks for fast reply blueroom :)
    so you have all iTunes file on that drive, also The preference file with all playlist? How do i move this file to the eksternal hdd?