Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diegov

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
I've recently bought a Macbook Air and I'm using a 64GB SD card to store my iTunes library there, so iTunes is constantly reading from the SD Card. The first times I used it I was quite disappointed, as there was a very important (1-2s) delay when switching between songs, which doesn't happen for example in other computers or my car which has an SD reader slot. However, the other day for no aparent reason the SD card was behaving incredibly fast, switching songs was instantaneous, but today I'm back to the old slow speeds.

Is there some reason why the SD card is fast or slow to read in different scenarios? I haven't plugged in anything to the USB port that could be hogging the USB bus.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Are you sure it is due to the memory card reader or could it have to do with the system as a whole? i.e. Running out of memory, cpu busy, etc... ?

diegov

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Memory and CPU seem to be ok, I've got like 1GB free RAM and CPU is under 10%.

I also get jerky movement when scrolling up or down with the arrow keys on the itunes song list, it's scrolling ok, then it freezes (all of itunes freezes) for 1-2s and then it resumen scrolling.

diegov

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
The jerky movement while scrolling was being caused by the Itunes sidebar, I disabled it and now I can scroll perfectly well. I still get an important lag when changing tracks.

diegov

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
This doesn't happen in a PC nor in my car, it's instantaneous in all those other places. The SD Card is a Class 10 memory card.

diegov

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Ok, I've isolated the problem and it only happens with mp3 files, not with AAC files. This is incredibly annoying because 90% of my music is in mp3 format. AAC plays immediately with no lag whatsoever :S

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Ok, I've isolated the problem and it only happens with mp3 files, not with AAC files. This is incredibly annoying because 90% of my music is in mp3 format. AAC plays immediately with no lag whatsoever :S

So convert all of your music files to AAC?

JCMiller23

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2016
I've had the same problem. I read on another forum that reformatting the SD Card to HFS+ (Mac OSX Journaled Extended) will solve this problem. About to try it here...

Reactions: Gav2k

siddharth3.14159265

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2016
sd cards are inherently very slow, giving you even worse performance than a hard drive something like 10-15 mb/s write and 20-30 mb/s read. it is very likely because of that only.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Notice that this thread is 4 years old. ;) I used to have a 2011 MBA and the SD card slot was really slow, regardless of card type. The slot on these older machines was actually connected to the USB 2.0 bus. In 2012 Apple changed the design and gave the card slot a much faster interface.

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
My 2013 MBA is still "relatively slow" when using an SD card. 700 meg/sec read/write to internal storage, 60 meg read & 85 meg write to the SD, formatted either hfs or exfat. Sure, it's an old thread but what the heck? :)

JCMiller23

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2016
After switching the formatting of the SD Card to OSX Journaled everything (in itunes) runs (99%) smoothly. Hardly notice any difference from keeping the (90 gigs worth of) songs on the SSD. Specs: 2011 MBA (A1369) and card is PNY 256 gb SDXC Class 10.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.