Itunes, smart playlist and albums

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Midgetinabikini, May 7, 2014.

1. Midgetinabikini macrumors regular

I was looking really hard including in this very website but I couldn't find an answer and since the last post I saw online (on other sites too) things might have changes.

So here it goes, I love music, that's why I'm Musicologist. I also love OS X and iTunes. Right now my music library contains about one year worth of music. Everything is organized by band or composer, every album and everything I ever purchased is in iTunes with all details.

Now I have to select an artist and then scroll to the album I want, which is cool. But every now and then I want surprises, so what I need is a smart playlist, easy to make, right? right...but I want it to take full albums and not song only, and random, very random. lets say I want 14G worth of music so it may also fit my iPhone.

That's all I need, I found scripts that deletes the files from iPod and sync random album but not something simple as what I need. I wonder if at this time what I need is even possible without breaking my head and if not, if there's a script that can do that directly from the real files on the hard drive.

Thank You,
    Lumikor of the Catshire

2. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Couldn't you just do this
    [​IMG]
    ???

The only problem I see is you may have to create this Playlist every time you sync your iPhone.

3. Midgetinabikini thread starter macrumors regular

Nop, getting error "This smart playlist contains one or more conditions that are empty or conflict with each other. This may result in never matching any item. Are you sure you want to save this playlist?"

4. westrock2000 macrumors 6502

If you followed the above example to the T, then it's because for "Album contains" the following field is blank. You need to change it to "Media Kind is Music" which will then select all music. I just made the exact same selection and I got 1619 songs, 4.4 days, 14GB playlist.

The important matter is that the smart playlist will stay constant though I believe. In order to get it to change, you might have to remake it periodically. Also, you may have to fiddle with the size a little if the songs on your system are high nitrate and you use the "down convert" option on your iPhone or iPod to lower the songs to 128/192/256 Kb/s. Because the 14GB will be as they are on the system and will come out to being smaller on the iDevice.

5. Midgetinabikini thread starter macrumors regular

still not creating random album list just random songs.

6. edjs macrumors newbie

On the Limit to {blah} line, choosing album from the selected by drop down menu appears to do the trick.

Attached Files:

7. Midgetinabikini thread starter macrumors regular

well, that's much better. but...the list is still not random, just taking the albums by alphabet, created three lists, all came out the same.

Adding rules such as rating or play count won't do it as long as it takes albums by alphabet and not randomly.

8. edjs macrumors newbie

Did some more experimenting, and it looks like when random is selected for the smart playlist, it fills it with albums or individual songs based on what you've selected under the Controls -> Shuffle menu.

9. Midgetinabikini thread starter macrumors regular

thank you, thank you and thank you again!

10. QWERTYMac7 macrumors regular