iTunes solution for iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Lankyman, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Lankyman, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2013

Lankyman macrumors 68000

When I bought my 2011 iMac I thought the 500gb HD was more than enough, not so now. The HD is filling up and I’m looking at moving iTunes media onto another solution.

I currently have the new 2TB Airport Time Capsule and I also have a 2TB NAS. However, both of these are single disk solutions so one has to be careful. On the plus side I do subscribe to iTunes Match so if the worst came to the worst I can download everything again at no cost.

I’m now trying to work out which is the best option – (1) move the iTunes media folder onto the Time Capsule and point iTunes there, whilst also putting a copy of the media folder onto the NAS for extra security, or (2) move the iTunes media onto the NAS and use that option whilst putting a copy of the media folder onto Time Capsule. The only problem with keeping a copy of the media folder would be keeping everything synced which could be a faff.

What do some of you think is the best option to run with?

2. Lankyman thread starter macrumors 68000

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I generally don't like the idea of putting data on the TC, so if it were me, I'd be looking to place my itunes library on an external disk...These are so cheap now that buying a drive specifically for that purpose won't break the bank, and the process is really simple and straighfoward.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1449?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

4. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

We've all made that mistake.....lol

I second Macman45's advice, below. Partitioning your TC drive is not recommended practice.

And if you end up going the route of a new drive, to ensure that your new iTunes drive gets backed-up on your TC, make sure it is formatted as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)(HFS+)", and is not excluded in the 'Exclude List' in System Preferences > Time Machine > Options.

5. madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

with that sort of size of music collection, why are you storing it at all instead of using itunes match?

why tie up not one but two big hard drives when 30 euro a year means its all sitting there in the cloud

6. Bear macrumors G3

I'd recommend buying a directly attached (via FireWire or USB3.0 on a Thunderbolt dock or a Thunderbolt drive) external hard drive. I am guessing that you will wind up putting other things on the external drive over time. Also you can then back up your external drive with Time Machine to your Time Capsule. Note a USB 2.0 drive would work as well, but would be slow - which shouldn't matter for some types of data.

The OP didn't sya what the disk was filling up with. Nor did they say how much of the iTunes library was songs as opposed to other media which wouldn't be part of iTunes Match.

Also, iTunes Match is nmot a backup service, Apple specifically states that you want to keep your original data.

7. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

If you want to avoid futures complications with backups it's best to only use Time Capsule for Time Machine. So if you wanted to host iTunes on your NAS you would still need an additional storage device if you want to maintain a duplicate copy.

So convenient options would be, 1) hook an external to you iMac for you iTunes library and let Time Machine back it up to Time Capsule along with the iMac 2) buy another NAS drive, load iTunes onto the NAS and use a program like Chronosync to periodically back up the primary NAS drive to the secondary NAS drive.

One note, I've ran iTunes from NAS before. For best performance I find it better to store the main iTunes folder with all the associated database files on your main machine and just relocate the "iTunes Media" folder to the NAS. (Using iTunes preferences > advanced > media folder location.) This makes for faster startup and shutdown of iTunes. It also avoids the issue of iTunes reseting your default folder location should the network location not be available on startup.

8. Lankyman thread starter macrumors 68000

If you read my initial post you will see I already subscribe to iTunes Match which is why I said that although both my NAS and the Airport TC is a single disk solution I do have the additional protection of iTunes Match.

Would the NAS not also be a reasonable solution given it has plenty of available space?

I did realise after typing the initial post I had typed iTunes Plus, though in my defence it was way past the time when I should have been getting some shut eye.

9. Lankyman thread starter macrumors 68000

I think the suggestion of fast external drive dedicated to iTunes as suggested with the media folder only on the drive and backed up to the TC is the way to go. It also gives me an excuse to visit the Apple store. :D

Thanks.

10. Saltymac macrumors member

You don't need the "fastest" drive for your itunes so you can save some money.

11. aniruth macrumors newbie

Hello user It is very simple to get itune music without using any other device you just have to oprn your mac music store...