iTunes Song Limit?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Masu2000, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Masu2000 macrumors newbie

I have a pretty powerful laptop - 2gb ram, 100gb HD, 17" widescreen, ...
    and currently have 226 soongs in my ipod touch 2g, synced with my laptop which also has 226 songs.
    I tried adding more songs, like 200 more, but after it converts it to acc or w/e it keeps telling me there is not enough memory to save the playlist, and it doesnt save.
    when I open itunes again, there are only 226 songs.
    I have the latest persion of itunes I believe, v8.
    any ideas?
    btw, itunes just HOGS up my memory whenever I add songs to it
    :apple:

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

3. Masu2000 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have 30GB free of HD space (5200 rpm)
    Usually, I am using about 700 M/4941 M of PF usage in task manager

so yeah, I have plenty of memory but itunes is still not working
    :eek:

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

First of all, please focus on relevant details. Whether your notebook has a 5" screen or you use a 30" Dual-Link LCD is utterly irrelevant to your iTunes issue.... iTunes on Windows certainly has no problems with large libraries... mine is around 4700 songs and I wouldn't even call it large.

Let me make sure I understand....

You have 266 songs in iTunes now. You have some more songs, not in iTunes, and also not in a usual format iTunes uses. What format / bitrate are they in before being imported? Is iTunes set up to copy files to the library or is it set up to leave them where they are? To what bitrate of AAC are imported songs converted? Also, is the iTunes library on the same partition as the pre-imported songs?

EDIT: Also, not that you shouldn't normally be able to queue a large number of songs for importing, but... what happens if you pick a small subset of the songs you're trying to import (say, 10 of them) and try to import just those. Is that successful?

5. Masu2000 thread starter macrumors newbie

ive got 226 songs on my itunes library right now.
    I have 170 other songs on a folder on my desktop all in WMA format, 192kbps.
    it leaves the files where they are, it does NOT create another copy under the iTunes music folder
    I do not know what bitrate iTunes converts them to when it converts them to AAC
    and I believe it isss in the same partition as my songs (my songs already in itunes are in SUMMITS documents -> Summit's music)
    I am using the admin account to import the new songs from the admin desktop

-thanks

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wait, you mean you're trying to import the songs from one user's desktop into another user's iTunes library? How did you even open "Summit's" iTunes from the Administrator account?

I admit, I've been getting a refresher course in Windows since I got my EeeBox (on which my iTunes library now lives), but I don't think it works this way. Your admin account, as an administrator, wouldn't have privileges to the files in another user's account, at least without escalating privileges. And I don't think iTunes will ask to escalate privileges.

Why can't you copy the songs into the "Summit" 's home somewhere, or something like that, and then import them into the iTunes library using the account to which the library belongs? The songs ultimately should be in the accessible space of the user to whom the iTunes library exists, or none of this makes any sense, and there's no reason you should expect it to work.

7. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

just to chime in
    memory (ram) has nothing to do with your problem
    disk space is what i think your talking about.

anyway.
    your library is definatly not to big
    i have 16,000
    at around 95gb

o, i know a solution to your problem, get a mac :D:D:D:D:D j/k

dam i really wanted to know if itunes has a limit to how much music you have, and that is defiantly not the op's problem, unless your hard drive is like 50gb, which its not

anyway, you might want to try and convert those songs to aac or apple lossless codac (spelling) using toast (i don't know whats good on windows to convert) or some other program because sometimes itunes does not take certain file types such as flac.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hmmm, yeah, this is also a possibility, although I would think you would get a specific, different error message (I've tried and failed to import files in formats iTunes doesn't like, before, and it's very clear about why it's refusing).

Switch might be an option if this is the issue, though.

9. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

i dunno whenever i put files that itunes does not like in there it just simply shows no green plus sign and thats it.
    well thats when i drag and drop, pretty much the only way i do it.

10. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Is this happening AFTER you try to sync your 2gb iPod?

Your iPod is probably full, so if you have auto sync on, all songs, it can't because there is no room to put it, so it syncs, and just keeps the same 226 songs that are on the iPod, in iTunes.

I bet if you turn off auto sync. and just have it sync a playlist to your iPod you should be fine to add as many songs as you want to iTunes.

11. Masu2000 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the help guys,
    and yeah I think the problem was that it was in another account lol
    I deleted my whole playlist, and re uploaded it, after moving all my files to MY documents, the admin account
    now, its uploading like 400 songs, from the admin account of course
    its converting them, but after like the 20th song, I got "the message" yet again!!! aaah
    here is a mash up I have created to help you guys help me :D
    I have included the screenshot, the taskmanager screenshot, with my memory and specs, a little bit, and even my C:\ drive properties with the amount of memory still left on my laptop
    thanks for the help , but I need to know soon if I can close itunes after its done converting the songs because it still says playlist not saved not enough memory

Attached Files:

• help.jpg
      help.jpg
      File size:
      637.4 KB
      Views:
  12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You might have mentioned it was Vista, although then we would've made fun of you more. :p

See this and try this Vista permissions stuff:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8411462

It seems there are a number of threads, and have been ever since iTunes 7.2, concerning variations on this error message, and only in Vista, as far as I can see....

Nothing seems to be a definitive fix or explanation, but what's listed there might be worth trying.

13. Masu2000 thread starter macrumors newbie

14. Masu2000 thread starter macrumors newbie

so itunes converted everything, then I synced all the songs into my ipod touch.
    thenn I closed itunes. when I reopened it, there were 9 songs
    does anyone have anyyy idea =/

I have provided the screenshot above

15. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

good luck,
    this is one of the many reasons why i switched to mac.
    and if i ever get such an error, i go here, but mostly go to the genius bar or just talk to the people that work there. half my problems are fixed in ten seconds.

16. LEStudios macrumors 6502

LEStudios

No your library is not that big I have 35,850 songs = 3,177 Albums = 150.23GB, I have 92 TV Shows = 1,185 Episodes = 486.83GB; 135 Movies = 167.52GB; 240 Music Videos = 13.42GB; 113 Apps for my 16GB iPhone. All of this on a 2TB Western Digital My Studios II then on a 2nd 2TB WD Studios II I have Time Machine backed up everything on Mac and 1st 2TB Studios II also all of this is running on a 2GHz Core Duo 2 Mac Mini with 2GB Memory and 120GB HDD. :p

17. Masu2000 thread starter macrumors newbie

lol
    I bet apples doing errors like these on purpose for PC so people will move to Macs
    smart move huh

18. minijon macrumors member

19. mac tom uk m macrumors newbie

Apple would never do that to get more customers !!!!!

Just get a Mac and all of your problems are gone !!!!:apple:

20. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

nice.
    i have only some movies and i don't keep them in itunes.
    i wonder if there is a limit to what itunes can handle

21. Masu2000 thread starter macrumors newbie

I confess...
    its a really smart move on apples part purposely making errors like these with ambiguous words and no error codes.
    like everyones been saying I should get a mac just because of this error
    I wonder if microsoft does it too

22. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

well its the same for mac office. errors are just like wtf?
    you know we are just kidding right ?:eek:

23. Masu2000 thread starter macrumors newbie

haha yea but Its depressing that itunes still hasnt managed to work, even after deleting all my music, converting and reuploading all my music, and even upgrading and reinstalling itunes.
    how you like them apples

24. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

well one, did you delete the other files that come with itunes?
    there is always pref files that are not deleted, so you pretty much didn't do anything (if im right)

anyway, how many users are on your computer ie accounts?
    how are you deleting all your music?
    how are you deleting itunes?
    how are you doing ?:p
    how are you installing itunes?
    how have you done all of this?

the only thing i can think of is your permissions for something is not working or something.
    i dunno really i haven't used a pc in a while but i fix my friends computers every so often so all i would say now, which should be taken into account how much work it will actually be, fresh install.

but that is last option, do not just go and do this, everything will be erased. your going to want to back up all your files, music, videos, and even pref files for some programs so they run how you want and don't have to fiddle with them when reinstalling them. i will even take my itunes file (not the music folder) with all the names and stuff thats saved so i don't have to put all my music back in itunes as it takes hours.

now that ive been rambling,
    lets sum up what i have to say.
    your not having seriouse issues ( blue screen of death, freezing, overheating, etc)
    and your problem is just in one program.
    so i would guess that its something small thats doing you harm.
    i wouldn't do anything as drastic as you have done (delete music a bunch of times, remove app, reinstall app).
    you just need that little fix, keep searching.

25. Masu2000 thread starter macrumors newbie