iTunes - songs in the media folder don't appear in iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ascender, Jul 31, 2012.

1. ascender macrumors 68020

I'm running ML and the latest version of iTunes on a 2011 Mac Mini.

My iTunes library file corrupted a few days ago and I couldn't restore it from the backup so I effectively had to start again in rebuilding it. All files are hosted within the Media folder, so when iTunes started up, I let it find as many as it could and then had to do a manual "add to library" for it to pick up podcasts and some TV shows.

Apart from the fact there's duplicates and it seems to have trashed tags on a lot of TV shows, there's a load of music missing. The music files are present on the hard drive, but no matter if I add the parent media directory or the individual album directory, iTunes is only indexing some of the songs. So the missing songs aren't listed at all, rather than the age old problem of them being listed but with the ! because it doesn't know where they are.

iTunes is set to consolidate the library in to the one directory; I've organised the ilbrary etc but its still not picking the files up.

Any ideas?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Make sure any music you're trying to add is in a format that iTunes can handle. If it is, try adding again. If that doesn't work, the files may be corrupted. You may need to re-rip some music.