itunes songs purchased but deleted, help.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by biancafoxx, Dec 3, 2009.

1. biancafoxx macrumors newbie

Hi, All.
    I have an ipod and ipod account, bought songs from itunes on a laptop that got ran over.
    Like an idiot I wiped my ipod when i got my new laptop.
    When I'm in itunes songs I have previously bought come up as purchased,
    my question is can i retrive those songs and put them on my new laptop?

many thanks
    B-Foxx

2. DELTAsnake macrumors 6502

DELTAsnake

It's officially Apples policy that you can only download it once. Unofficially there are ways to download twice, BUT NO MORE THAN THAT.

First is if there is a problem with a song you downloaded soon after you downloaded it there is a section in iTunes called report a problem where you can request another download. This is for something like what happened to my mom last year. She was downloading an album and her Wifi cut out and she lost some songs. I went into the Report a Problem section of the iTunes account and was able to get a second download of the album for her.

The other way I have not done, but I've heard of people that have done it. In the event of something like a hard drive dies, files get deleted or destroyed you can call Apple and politely and kindly explain the situation and if the customer service guy or gal is nice they can allow you to redownload all your purchases. But they may not because Apples official stance on the matter is you should have backed up your songs. So you have just got to beg them to show mercy basically.

My advise for the future. Get an external hard drive and backup to that. A copy on a single hard drive and a synced copy on a iPhone or iPod is not enough.