iTunes sorting - sort first by artist, then by song... possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by toypadlock, Aug 23, 2011.

1. toypadlock macrumors member

Hi,

I expect this is a question that has been asked before (though I couldn't find it in a search). Basically, I'm making a huge playlist (it's about three days long so far) and I would like to sort it first by artist and then by song name. Currently, if I sort it by artist, the songs are then ordered in album order amongst themselves.

Is this possible? Ideally I don't want to have to do any manual dragging songs into an order (thousands of songs!) or substantially changing their tags, as I have a nicely ordered iTunes library currently and don't want to screw it up (by, say, deleting the album info from the MP3s' ID3 tags).

Thanks!

2. toypadlock thread starter macrumors member

3. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

I'm pretty sure this isn't possible with iTunes. But it doesn't really make sense IMHO. Sorting songs alphabetically within albums is basically the same as sorting songs randomly within albums.

4. toypadlock thread starter macrumors member

this is for remaking my DJing CD collection; so the sorting does make good sense. for me at least.

5. ReggaeFire macrumors 6502

You can do it in a fairly convoluted way.

1. Create your playlist of all the songs you want
    2. Sort by artist
    3. Select each artist with multiple songs, and "Create playlist from selection"
    4. Sort songs in manner you want in this playlist
    5. Copy each artist playist to a new Master playlist in the order you want the artists to appear.