iTunes Sound Quality

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DarthBowie, Oct 29, 2007.

1. DarthBowie macrumors member

Hi. I have my sound quality for uploads at 256. However, when uploading songs today, I noticed that iTunes was uploading tracks at 260, 259, 256, and 250. Have any of you experienced this?

:confused::cool:

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

You have variable bit rate selected (VBR) use constant bit rate (CBR) instead. If you are really keen on sound quality use AAC or better yet Apple Lossless.

VBR is not a bad thing though.

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Are you using Variable rate checked? Also do you mean when you ripping (import) audio? Saying uploading is kinda confusing.

4. DarthBowie thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies!

I just checked my setting for uploading music from a cd and it is set at AAC encoder, 256. I do not see settings for "variable." Did my eyes miss something?

Thank you!

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You'll need to select 'other' in the rate drop down menu. In there it will show a checkbox for VBR or variable bit rate. Overall VBR is something I would recommend you use. It keeps file quality good and reduces file size (not significantly, but with many files it helps).

6. DarthBowie thread starter macrumors member

I prefer 256 AAC. I did find the section for VBR and it wasn't selected. I do not know why iTunes is still uploading my music from cd at VBR...
    :confused::mad::cool:

7. DarthBowie thread starter macrumors member

Has anyone else had this problem in RECENT days? I've had this problem since I installed "Leopard." I made all of the correct selection in iTunes and I am STILL having this problem...
    :mad::(:confused:

8. JTB macrumors newbie

same here

i have had the same problem. i did a total erase and added my files back on individually after i installed leopard and i noticed this when i tried to convert an album. the vbr is off and it is still doing it. no matter what different combination you do with changing the quality to changing the Hz to changing between mono and stereo it is still vbr. ugh, it's a total bug in the new leopard i think.

9. DarthBowie thread starter macrumors member

Yes, it is a pain! Has Apple addressed this "Leopard" issue?

:mad:

10. hankolerd macrumors 6502

hankolerd

im sorry to hear that it is causing you grief...but if you really just step back and think about it, even though it is something that needs to be fixed, it really isn't that horrible of a problem..trust me, you are never going to notice the difference between 250 and 256, personally i run 192 to save some disk space...i only have a 500gig:apple:

11. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Agreed, if you can tell the difference even between 256 and 192 I will give you a medal. Its a very subjective topic where people love to think that they can hear a difference. Truth be told it is more a placebo effect than anything when it comes to bit rates of AAC and MP3's (when the bitrate is sufficiently high).

12. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

There is definitely a notable difference between 192 and 256. 192 is 'very good' wheras 256 is 'as close to CD quality as you can get'.

13. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Below the box for VBR is a box for Optimize for Voice. Do you guys check that box?

14. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

Maybe people with good ears and good headphones or hifi gear can tell the difference between 256kbps and 192kbps, but I seriously doubt anyone could tell the difference between 256kbps CBR and 250-260kbps VBR (assuming that's what's going on here). (Not to say it isn't a bug though).

And - DarthBowie - please use 'importing' rather than 'uploading' - it would make things clearer for people trying to answer your concerns. 'Uploading' tends to be reserved for sending files from one computer to another, usually over the internet. I do see the logic in using the term for moving files from CD/camera/whatever to a computer ... it's just confusing as it's not common usage of the word.

Jonathan.

15. Fuchal macrumors 68020

The nature of AAC does not allow it to encode at a 100% constant bitrate like the older MP3 format allows you to. This is perfectly normal. The files are not being encoded any differently.

Tiger would mask the bitrate with the iTunes setting that was used to encode the AAC file.

The way "CBR" AAC is encoded is by encoding a VBR file with a very small bitrate range (usually around 5kbps of the target bitrate). Therefore, the average bitrate fluctuates slightly from file to file.