iTunes speed issues

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by oc2pus, Jul 30, 2008.

1. oc2pus macrumors member

Hi there,

since yesterday I have a serious problem with iTunes dealing with my external harddrive where I stored 45 GB of mostly radio-plays and audiobooks.
    I was importing a new "album" into iTunes when the application suddenly crashed. Restarting showed that the import of the files resulted in corrupted titles showing the exclamation mark. I looked for them onto the harddrive, but there wasn's any trace of them, so i just deleted the dead tracks from the iTunes-library. Since then any import of files is slow as hell. Importing a 50 MB MP3 radio-play will take about 5 minutes just copying them onto the harddrive.
    I left the MacBook alone, shut down iTunes - and guess what, when I restarted, a whole bunch of covers are missing, iTunes is beachballing like hell.

The harddrive-application says everything is fine, I even converted any ID3-tags to version 2.4. Copying from finder is doing fine as well, about 2 MB/s, which is okay I guess.

If anyone has an idea what the issue might be and how I can find a solution for it is highly welcome... any advice appreciated...

2. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

The same thing has happened to me.
    I also use an external hard drive.
    They're called dead links.
    Your iTunes crashed.
    Sooner or later it will say that it can't find anything.
    I say... deleted... EVERYTHING, but don't send it to the trash bin.
    Then go to add folder to library, then click on your external hard drive or the folder in your external hard drive with everything in it.

All that was given to me by Apple when I called them for help on it.

3. oc2pus thread starter macrumors member

Oh damn, that's not really much...
    I just found out that when I change the USB-port, everything is fine again.
    Did I happen to destroy an USB-port?

4. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

You got off lucky.
    Maybe you did brake the port.
    Is that the one you normally use?

5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Your best bet would be to try another USB device on that port, and to try the HD on another USB port if you have one available.

6. oc2pus thread starter macrumors member

Well... yes, it is.
    I just deleted everything from the iTunes library while keeping the files and re-imported them to the library, but using the second USB-port... works like a charm.

But still... as the MacBook is coming close to be 3 months of age, I'm having a tear in my eyes.

7. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I've loosened up my usb port a bunch too on accident.
    It sucks that you broke the usb port.
    You should take it to Apple and maybe they can fix for free, and if not then a small fee.
    One of the reasons I may get a time capsule.