itunes spliting albums for no reason?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Hongkongphooey7, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Hongkongphooey7 macrumors newbie

please help,

When i import an album some albums split into several albums. how do i stop this from happening????

I have tried dragging and dropping them into one location but it won't cure my issue any help
    regards
    Chris

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I've had this happen. Though just from downloaded files that I import (same thing basically).

Anyway, I couldn't exactly stop it, but I could fix it by changing the songs in an album all into a compilation and then back. It's a lame solution, but it worked for me.

3. Hongkongphooey7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Gimmeslack12

that was quality advise thanks very much, not as lame as you think it works perfectly.

Many Thanks

chris
    if you are ever over in the UK i owe you a pint...

4. JudasMalone macrumors newbie

itunes splitting albums for no reason...

What I usually do to resolve this is to highlight all the songs of this album and right click to "get info" then type in albums info; name, album title etc. and copy/paste the artwork. Itunes then takes care of the rest. It works great!

5. IRONMAN2 macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm having the same problem with a few albums, the 'get info' update album name is not working?? It is a compilation so the artist and song names are all different. Its fine in itunes but i can't play on my iphone as it shows as 20 different albums with 1 song in each. Please could you explain how you change all the songs to a compilation then back??
    Thanks! This is very frustrating.

6. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

you might want to have a look at this excellent read by Steve MacGuire.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

iTunes uses the "Album" and "Album Artist" fields to identify tracks of one album. As long as those two fields have identical information, they're considered one album. You might also check the "Sort Album" and "Sort Album Artist" fields to make sure nothing is there that would override the natural sorting. Frequently, people have the OP's problem because there's nothing in the "Album Artist" field.

8. IRONMAN2 macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, this link was a great help! The update album artist worked but you lose the true artist name (ie on a compliation).
    The other fis suggests putting the true artist in brackets after each track name and then updating album artist.
    Problem solved ;) Awesome.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For an album with various artists, you can put "Various Artists" in the "Album Artist" tag, then put the actual artist in the "Artist" tag for each track. That's exactly why there is both an "Artist" and "Album Artist" tag.

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

Thanks! I had been wracking my brain for quite a long time to get an album with multiple artists to show up as just one album in iTunes. This solved the problem!