iTunes starts...then quits.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Meldar, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Meldar macrumors regular

Meldar

Last night I was using iTunes just fine; when I was about to shut down I figured I'd check for system updates and realized I hadn't installed iTunes 7.6.2.

After my system updated I shut it down. This morning I started it up again, and when I load iTunes, it hops up and down, the arrow comes on underneath it, and then -poof- goes away and it quits. It doesn't even load in the menu bar.

I have over 6000 songs that I don't feel like losing. Can someone please tell me if there's a bug/if I can revert to an older version? I have Mac OS X 10.4.11...

2. cwsmith macrumors newbie

cwsmith

Your music is still there

Your music is kept in a folder at [your hard drive] / Users / [your username] / Music / iTunes / iTunes Music . You haven't lost it: it's still there.

You should be able to backup your iTunes library file and then re-import your songs to iTunes. I should note that although you'll get all your music back, your playlists and folders will be gone. Here's how to get back up and running, though:

Go to [your hard drive] / Users / [your username] / Music / iTunes . Move "iTunes Library" and "iTunes Music Library.xml" to the "Previous iTunes Libraries" folder (if there's no "previous" folder, create one and put the files in there).

Now launch iTunes. You might get the "Let's Get Started" dialog as if you'd never used iTunes before: go ahead and answer the questions. Once you've got your main iTunes window, go to the File menu and select "Add to Library" (or "Add Folder to Library" if you're running Windows). Navigate to [your hard drive] / Users / [your username] / Music / iTunes / iTunes Music and click the blue "Open" button.

In a couple of minutes, you'll have all your songs, podcasts, TV shows, movies and such that you've used in iTunes before. It's up to you now to create and organize your playlists & folders.

3. Meldar thread starter macrumors regular

Meldar

I did that file move but iTunes still won't launch at all.

4. Meldar thread starter macrumors regular

Meldar

iTunes still starts then quits... Even with an iPod connected (it says Do Not Disconnect but iTunes does not load at all) :|

Can anyone enlighten me?