Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nebrtoad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2006
Nebraska
I have a problem that just cropped up yesterday after I copied some MP3's into my iTunes Library from another one of my computers. iTunes works fine for a while until it randomly stops playing music. The progress bar does not move, even though you can press the Play/Pause button, browse playlists and other activities that make the app appear to be working.

The weirdest thing about it is that after iTunes stops playing the music, no sounds are emitted from the computer at all, except for the system fault sound coming out of the case speaker. The only way to remedy the situation is to reboot, but the problem happens again after less than half an hour of iTunes use. I have not encountered the problem without using iTunes.

The only recent change to my system was an upgrade to Firefox 2.0.0.1 made a few hours prior to the problem starting. The MP3's I copied over play fine on the Dell Laptop they came from. I ripped them myself with iTunes, so it's not like these are coming from some rouge p2p network.

I have tried reinstalling iTunes and Quicktime, but no joy. It feels like a iTunes issue, but the circumstances don't really support that feeling - they just make me confused. :confused:

iTunes 7.0.2.16
Quicktime 7.1.3

Soundcard: Aureal Vortex 8810 (driver is current)

512 Mb RAM

nebrtoad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2006
Nebraska
It seems to be random; definitely not always on the songs I imported. In fact, I'm not sure it's ever stopped on a song I imported. The one pattern I've noticed is that it always stops in between songs. I do have shuffle turned on. I will see what happens if I turn it off.

nebrtoad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2006
Nebraska
I turned shuffle off, started from the top of my playlist, and it stopped at the end of the 42nd song.

nebrtoad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2006
Nebraska
Follow Up

I finally received a new sound card, having waited through the Christmas holiday and a massive ice storm over New Year's weekend. After installing it, I have not had any trouble with iTunes stopping like it was.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.