itunes store connection errors (DNS problem?)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by adagio, Jul 20, 2012.

1. adagio, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012

adagio macrumors member

I've been having a weird problem for the last couple of weeks. I can't connect to the iTunes store properly throughout most of the day but every evening it all settles down and works normally. All other internet connections are unaffected. The error occurs on both my laptop and my iPhone, but when I switch the iPhone from wifi to 3G I can access the store OK.

I can't refresh the list of available podcasts, but I can sometimes download one podcast at a time, very slowly. Attempting to queue a second gives an error.

I can sometimes (though rarely) see the store OK but usually I either get a 'connection was lost' error dialog, or the store loads but with missing images. If it does load though I can't actually download any apps. I get the connection error.

I can rarely download app updates.

Like I said, every evening it fixes itself and everything works as normal.

My ISP uses open DNS and told me they were aware this problem was occurring with the iTunes store for some ISPs. He recommended I try google DNS but that was no better. People have reporting similar issues on the apple forums for months but they never seem to have the intermittent nature I am experiencing.

I would appreciate a recommendation of a safe alternative DNS that I can try and/or clarification that this is a known Apple problem and not my ISP fobbing me off.

2. adagio, Jul 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2012

adagio thread starter macrumors member

Everything seems to be perfect this morning (Saturday) first morning it's been working in ages, though I was away last weekend.

OK Sunday too. Not expecting it to work tomorrow though

3. adagio thread starter macrumors member

After going on for a couple of weeks the problem is much improved, though downloads from the store are still pretty slow at the times when recently it's not been working at all.