Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karansaraf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
I'm sure this is a very common problem but I've not been able to fix it so far.

For about 2 months now, my iTunes has not been able to connect to the iTunes store.

I'm using Windows 7 64bit. Windows Firewall is turned off. I've got the latest version of iTunes installed (just reinstalled the latest version today).

Any suggestions?

karansaraf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Thanks for your suggestion, but even after doing this, I still get the same error message when attempting to connect to the iTunes Store.

iTunes could not connect to the iTunes Store. The network connection timed out.

Make sure your network settings are correct, and your network connection is active, then try again.

Any other ideas?

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
Thanks for your suggestion, but even after doing this, I still get the same error message when attempting to connect to the iTunes Store.

iTunes could not connect to the iTunes Store. The network connection timed out.

Make sure your network settings are correct, and your network connection is active, then try again.

Any other ideas?
Can you open your browser and go to the iTunes store?

karansaraf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
When I go to the itunes store in my browser, I get a pop up saying which application would I like to open this link with, with itunes checked, then I go on that and get the same message. I can view the apps pages on apple.com in my browser, with the "view in itunes" buttons beneath them - is that what you mean?

And nothing is disabled in my parental tab in itunes preferences.

karansaraf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
I've been on that link and followed the suggestions.

I don't have a pop up blocker.
My iTunes copy is up to date.
Not on XP so Service Pack 2 is irrelevant.
Windows Firewall and my router firewall are both off.
I haven't switched to a new ISP.
I've flushed my DNS.
I haven't changed the hosts file recently.

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
I wonder if it is something from your ISP, blocking you? I don't know if it would make any difference, but you could also try Open DNS or Google Public DNS.

EDIT: What if you connect your iPhone to your wifi and try to connect to the iTunes Store (not the App Store)

karansaraf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Could you post a link to the itunes store? I want to me make sure I'm going to the right place in safari on my iphone.

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
Could you post a link to the itunes store? I want to me make sure I'm going to the right place in safari on my iphone.
I just typed "itunes" in Safari, and hit go. You might also try the stock iTunes app, on the phone. The problem is that we don't know what the address is that is being used by iTunes on the computer.

raholland

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2011
Virginia
Billing

I had trouble where iTunes was giving me multiple connectivity errors.

To resolve it, I logged on to my account through the Apple Store. It immediately asked me to update my billing information. As soon as I did, the problems went away.

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
You may have already tried this, but just in case.... Deautorize, and then reauthorize your computer in iTunes.

karansaraf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
When I try to do that it just gives me the cannot connect to itunes store message again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.